1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Warmoth Gecko medium 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ric426, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ric426

ric426 In my defense, I was left unsupervised. Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    This one has changed hands before on TB, but it's been refurbished and is ready to rock.

It's got a lightweight Warmoth swamp ash body finished in Sunset Orange, a Wenge neck with a Purpleheart/Maple center, Ebony fretboard, a Nordstrand 5.2 MusicMan pickup with 3 way coil switching, a Bartolini 3 band 18v preamp with 3 mid settings, a Hipshot A aluminum bridge and Hipshot Ultralite tuners. It's a 35" scale with 19mm spacing at the bridge, 1 7/8" nut width. It weighs a very comfortable 9lbs. 4oz. and balances nicely on a strap. Comes in a generic but very nice gig bag.

It's in really good condition, but does have a few scars and scratches. Nothing through the finish and the most noticeable ones are on the back around the string ferrules where there are multiple dents. The neck and fretboard are in excellent shape.

I'm pricing this one at the low price of [DEL]$650[/DEL] [DEL]$625[/DEL] $600 shipped (US shipping only, AK & HI extra) only because Gecko basses are way undervalued for what you get. I'd prefer payment by USPS Money Order, but am open to discussing other options. About the only trade I might be interested in would be a vintage style P bass with sunburst alder body, tort pickguard and rosewood fretboard, but it'd have to be the right one. Feel free to inquire about other trades. At worst I'll just say no thanks.

This bass started out routed for two P2 sized soapbar pickups, then a previous owner carved out a space for the MM style pickup and covered the open spaces with parts of another pickguard. I cleaned up the routed area, painted it with graphite shielding paint and made a custom pickguard to cover the extra pickup routs and screw holes. I like the results, but judge for yourself.

The tone is incredible! It's clear, even and balanced across and up and down the neck. Think of a Sting Ray 5 with an aggressive attitude, but with the coil switching and flexible preamp, you can also dial it back to a nice mellowness. It'd be great for an in-your-face rock/metal sound, but can do clear and modern with ease. It'd be a slap monster!

So with all this raving, if it's so great, why am I selling it? Only because I just got a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 that has a 34" scale and tighter string spacing and with my small and arthritic hands, it's much more manageable for me. The sound isn't as open and punchy as this bass, but it's still good and I like it.

I have more photos showing it's previous configuration and some of the work I did on it that I can email if you're interested.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's what's under the pickguard
    [​IMG]

The dents in the back. Hard to catch with my cheap camera, but I tried.
    [​IMG]

2. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    OMG!!! That pickguard is so sick and really sets off the guitar. Really, really gorgeous. Good Luck!!

3. onuka

onuka Warbott

Jan 7, 2013
    Minnesota
    would you be interested in a Bassmods K6 bass with upgrades. Bartolini Quad coil and preamp. It also has coil tap switches for each pickup, and I upgraded the bridge to hipshot. I'm thinking of going back to playing a 5 or 4 string. Let me know if you're interested.

4. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks for the offer, but I get lost easy enough on a 5 string. A 6 string would leave me confused for days. It's the old dog/new tricks thing. ;)

5. Where are you located in SE Mi? I'm interested and would like a test drive. I live in Warren.

6. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    PM reply sent.

7. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Man, this is the sweetest gecko I've ever seen!

8. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks! It plays and sounds as good as it looks. If it wasn't for my stubby fingers I'd be keeping it.

9. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    I hate to be that guy that posts in someone else's thread, but holy crap that bass is beautiful. If you're looking for a Framus guitar or Warwick Corvette 5 string let me know, otherwise good luck with this!!

10. dream_theater

dream_theater

May 8, 2012
    Santa Barbara
    Instrumental Music
    Gorgeous bass, did someone hammer in the ferrules??? :eyebrow:

Curious how those dents appeared.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That is one trippy take on the Gecko. I dig it! Very cool ideas you implemented there.

I can't really justify another 5 bump!

12. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That would be my guess too. It happened before I got the bass so I don't really know.

13. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks! I basically tried to come up with a shape for the pickguard that would cover the things I wanted hidden, but still look like it was made for the bass. The cutout for the pickup was a little tricky but I got a nice fit. I haven't seen many Geckos that even have pickguards.

comatosedragon likes this.
  14. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Bump

15. Morten_B

Morten_B Supporting Member

Hi Ric,

As you know, I would like to buy it from you. Good cash money - no trade in's. I have 100% positive feedback from many international deals on various sites.

This means shipping to me in Denmark (everything prepaid of course, including shipping = more money to you since you save the shipping).

Or as an alternative you can get paid from my familiy in the US if you feel more comfortable getting money from the US and writing a US address on the shipping label. You can then ship the bass to them, and they will ship to me.

Both is fine by me. Please get in touch.

16. ric426

Mar 27, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Sold pending payment

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.