1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Warwick Thumb 5 string Wide neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Plantbrain, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plantbrain

Plantbrain Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Year: 2002

Not a scratch on the bass, 9.8 out of a 10. A little wear on the pick up lettering is about it. Deep rich color, nice Wenge fretboard, no truss adjustment needed for years, 20 mm string spacing for you folks who like to dig in and have fat fingers. Not many wide necks are available here and it's an added upgrade of about 500$.

I have the bass tuned with new strings and a high "C" instead of the low "B", I'll include the low B with the sale. Comes with a Warwick Gig bag. Shipping is about 40$.

1800.00 obo

resizedthumbBN.
    resizedbackthumb.

No trades

2. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    I have reconsidered a few trades, but they are very specific:

Warwick Thumb 4 strings + some cash. NT preferred and they need to be really nice, this bass is... so it's only fair(and there may be no cash involved for the right bass). I'm sticking with 4 stringers from here on. I have one 5er and that's all I need for any of that fat B stuff.

I prefer the off set old placement of the pick ups that are both parallel(like the bass above), not the two that are not parallel.

thanks

3. just fyi, the 4 string thumbs never had the pickups parallel.

yours looks pretty sweet, tho. bolt-on broadneck thumb 5ers don't pop up that often!

4. slamsinger

slamsinger

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    What's the weight?

5. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    1 Ton, 305 lbs, 12 oz

Something like that...........

I think it's about 10lbs. The neck is like a 6 string's neck, but with 5, not 6 strings. It's not a light bass. I use 4" wide straps, but it does not bother me, if you are a tender neck, tender shoulder player, then not a good choice, I'd go a streamline status which is all carbon and lighter than any 5 string bass. The weight is almost 1/2 this beast.

Still, wide straps will mitigate tired necks/shoulders.

6. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Yep, I think you are correct about the 4's, come to think of it, they where all 5er's.

Well, then off set 4's NT or maybe a nice other model eg Dirty blonde or +$ etc. Also, a Fretless 4 string thumb NT is also interesting.

7. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Still looking for a 4 string Thumb also.

8. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    The volume knob is stacked, and is a mid range eq, with the other stacked for the bass, treb, has a lot of different sounds. Also has a bone nut which is FAR better for tone.

9. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Thumbump

10. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    PM replied, I'm fairly specific to trades, needs to be a 4 string warwick.

11. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Maybe a fretless thumb also for a trade + some $.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love it!

13. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    It's got the fat neck, feels like a 6 string, good for fat fingers.

14. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    PM replied

15. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    thumbp

16. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    PM replied, not really interested in that trade.

4 strings, warwick thumb, blondes/fretless etc, maybe a Dolphin 4 + some $.

17. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    PM replied

18. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Wide spaced Thumb is my dream bass. I have always considered just staying at 4 and not doing a 5 because the 16.5mm is soooo narrow for my fat fingers. I am thinking this might be too wide for me....reminds me of Goldie Locks and the three bears... where is the Thumb 5 that is just right? ;) That neck looks like a six string neck, how would you describe it?

Does she still sound like a thumb? Given the different pups and positions...seems like it might affect the tone.

Bump for a sweet bass.

19. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    It's like playing a 4........but with an extra string and space.

That's the best single way to describe it.
    17.5-18 I'm okay with........19 is ideal....this is around 19-20mm.

Sound is really good, it was a mid on the stacked volume, so you can get even more out of it.

There is no way to add one more string and keep the same space without obviously making the neck wider. Either that...or make the spacing narrow. This is one of those rare basses where the spacing was not sacrificed.

It does take a little getting use to the width.....but you have no issues with fingers fumbling all over one another on other strings etc versus a narrow spaced 5 string bass.

I think the trade off is well worth it.

If you like the fatter B and moving a lot of air, this might be up your alley.
    If you like the upper range.....then you can leave it as tuned with the C.

20. Plantbrain

Oct 9, 2006
    Off to evil ebay, if anyone here is interested, I'd rather sell to a TB'er personally........... 1600.00 + actual ship cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.