1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FS: Washburn AB-35 Fretless Acoustic/Electric 5-String Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Walbodiddy, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold!

I bought this from TB'er swpyne a couple of years back and it's a great bass. This is a great example of old Washburn quality. This model is discontinued and they're a pretty rare find.

The construction is top-notch and playability is excellent. Even with the action slightly higher than average to get a bit more acoustic volume, it's no struggle at all switching between it and a solid-body with low action. It has plenty of volume for solo practice and I've had no trouble playing along with acoustic guitarists who understand how to keep their volume balanced. If a drummer enters the room, you will want an amp. Fortunately, plugging in will reward you with a truly great bass sound. With the right strings and right-hand attack, it can get a very upright-bass vibe. Playing it with a more traditional right-hand technique gets a smooth, singing, fretless tone with great presence in the low end. I have never played it with roundwounds but I imagine it can also produce more aggressive sounds. Swpyne mentioned that it has unusually even string-to-string output from the piezo element and I agree. The balance is excellent across the strings and all the way up and down the neck.

I would call it excellent used condition. There are a few small nicks and scratches, which are pictured below. None are very noticeable and don't affect the playability. I think the fingerboard may have been professionally replaced at some point as there are some small marks around the joint of the fingerboard and neck and the fingerboard has almost no wear, which is unusual for an instrument that is more than a year or two old.

Comes in the original hardshell case, which is in very good condition.

I will consider trade offers but cash takes precedence. I'm always happy to drive a reasonable distance to make a local deal happen.

Thanks for looking!

2. These pics are from the previous owner. It is in exactly the same condition. I can take current pictures for anyone who would like.

AB35Front.

AB35Back.

AB35CloseFront.

AB35CloseBoardBody.

AB35HeadstockFront.

AB35HeadstockBack.

3. PMs replied to. Still here for now. I'm getting pre-seller's remorse on this one - I don't need this bass and almost never gets played but it's such a pleasure to play that I just want to keep it. Must.. stay... strong...

4. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    Bump for a cool bass and a great TB'er!

5. Nice. 34"?

6. 35" scale. Great B string.

7. t-ray

t-ray Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Alabama USA
    sent.

8. portraitoftracy

portraitoftracy

Sep 27, 2005
    Chico, CA
    I love my fretted AB35, in fact I had Ken Lawrence do some fret and bridge work on it and he could not believe the quality of the instrument, he said there is no way someone could build this thing for the price they charge, maybe why they stopped making them.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    35", unlined, and with dots at every "fret". Jebus I'm tempted. Damn my mortgage.

10. I appreciate the kind words, guys. This is a killer bass. If I hadn't started playing upright acoustic bass, I would never let this one go. Using the meat of of the right thumb, you can get a very satisfying, thumpy upright vibe. Switching to a more traditional pluck near the neck will give you a very warm, big, electric fretless sound. Moving closer to the bridge will thin it out and can get a nice Jaco burp. It really plays and sounds great.

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    PM Sent

12. Sold!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.