1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Yamaha RBX5 A2 5-String lightweight bass w/ mods

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by optikhog, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    In VG condition, I'm selling my Yamaha RBX5 A2 - very light weight (just over 7 pounds) with excellent balance and punchy tone/great clarity. This bass also has the cool red/blue volume knob LED's which fade in and out with the turn of each knob.

This bass has some very light swirling with a notable scratch in the front finish just below the tone knob (I could not get it to photograph as it's pretty light). It also has some buckle rash on the back and the battery door has cracked at the swivel but still functions just fine (and holds the battery in place without issue). It currently wears a set of medium Dean Markley Blue Steel strings which still have quite a bit of life left in them.

I've made two modifications to this bass:
    1) originally a passive bass, I've added an EMG BTC control to this bass for concentric active control of treble and bass (powered by the factory battery circuit for the lights I mentioned above) along with a bypass switch near the tone knob to revert it to passive when needed
    2) I've added a series/parallel switch between the volume knobs for additional tonal options

The bass comes in a lightweight Gator hardshell case and will be professionally packed and shipped via UPS.

I'm asking $350 shipped to the Continental USA but will consider any reasonable offer.
    Paypal is my preferred payment method but I'm open to other forms of payment. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Here's a video I made with this bass explaining the installation of the EMG BTC into this model (note this is prior to the installation of the switches mentioned above:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ENEToY928

And here's Ed Friedland's glowing review of the 4-string version of this model:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47tKorh9vgo

Pics:
    ebay%20009.
    ebay%20010.
    ebay%20011.
    ebay%20012.
    ebay%20014.

2. that's a sharp bass!

3. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Thanks, man! It has served me well. I'd keep it around but our band just broke up so I'm thinning the herd while I take a break from gigging for a while.

4. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    What is the neck like (dimensions)? May be interested....

5. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Here is the link to the Yamaha product web page (click on "Specifications", obviously):
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail.html?CNTID=5050027&CTID=5067800

I know it has 18.5mm spacing at the bridge but the best comparison I can make from a neck perspective is that it was very close in size to a MIM Jazz V I played at GC a few weeks ago. Perhaps a touch thicker, but thinner than my L-2500 for sure.

6. J-Building

J-Building

Jan 1, 2009
    Do the lights still work?

EDIT: Never mind, read the description again. Very cool that you were still able to keep the lights.

7. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I meant like...width at the nut and spacing at the nut....

8. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I was about to go measure when I saw that I'd received an offer in PM. So, this bass is now pending payment. Thanks!

9. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Waited a week but the buyer went silent on me so this bass is once again available for sale! Hit me up with any questions please.

10. keyscaptain

keyscaptain Banned

May 13, 2010
    WOW! I have always wanted to try one of these! beautiful bass!

11. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Thanks!

12. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Is that a 2tek bridge?

13. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    It's the stock Yamaha bridge. I'm not sure where they sourced it from, if anywhere.

14. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Sunday afternoon BUMP

15. Thats very cool! Entertaining trades?

Free bump!

16. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I'm in a bit of a downsizing mode but if you send me a list I'll see if anything strikes my fancy. Thanks!

17. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Monday afternoon bump - this goes to ebay in 48 hours...

18. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Last bump before it heads to ebay.

19. jro

jro

Mar 29, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    PM sent

20. optikhog

optikhog