SOLD FS: Yamaha TRB-6 $TB Only Deal$

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rb1, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    PRICE REDUCED. Free shipping!

I have decided to sell my beautiful TRB-6. This is the bass upon which the John Patitucci TRB-6JP is based. It has the same 34" neck (rosewood instead of ebony), body shape (but solid ash), and Yamaha 5-way controls, but not the piezo pickup or the fancy dolphin inlays on the fretboard. The pickups use the extremely silent Hum cancelling Alnico V coils.

This bass was made in Japan, (not Korea or China, like the cheaper Yami 1006).

This bass is supremely well engineered. It's the first bass I have ever seen with such neatly organized preamp circuit boards-- all the wires attach with Twinax shielded cable connectors! The fretboard has TWO dual-action truss rods. The neck is slim and very easy to play.

This bass has a custom finish-- a gorgeous satiny black which beautifully compliments the gold hardware.

I just had my favorite guitar tech put on new strings and adjust the neck, etc., so everything is in tip-top shape! (The pictures here are with the old strings.)

TRB-6outside.gif

TRB6-1.gif

TRB6-2.gif

TRB6-4.gif

Here are some specs from the Service Manual (included):

Scale length: 863.6 mm (34")
    Neck: Bolt-on
    Length: 1160 mm (45.66")
    Width: 354.3 mm (13.95")
    Weight: 4.9 kg (10.8 lbs, but it's perfectly balanced!)
    Body: Ash
    Fingerboard: 24 fret Rosewood,
    50.6mm (2") at nut, 82.7mm (3.5") at 12th fret
    Hardware: Gold plated
    Nut: Bone

For TB members only, I will sell this fantastic, rare bass for SEE NEW THREAD: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7895828

I will ship to the continental USA (the "lower 48") only. No trades please-- I really need the cash!

Paypal works for me.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Jaco played a 6'r? Or did you mean Patitucci?

3. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    Yeah, that's what I meant! My head must have been somewhere else while my fingers were typing that! :confused: Thanks for pointing it out! I'll change the text now.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I must make some corrections.

The TRB-6's body is shaped like the Patitucci, but the body is solid ash, where the Patitucci is a maple/ash/adler construction. Also the TRB-6 has a rosewood fingerboard where the TRBJP has an ebony fingerboard.

Lastly, the TRB6 has single coil pickups, and the TRBJP has stacked humbuckers.

Don't take this as a dig, the TRB6 is a great bass, but you've misrepresented it a bit....

5. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    I meant the same body SHAPE, not that the wood was the same. But the single coil vs. humbuckers was a mistake... I forgot that the JP model has humbuckers. This one has the very silent, hum cancelling Alnico V coils. Thank you for your corrections!

This bass is what it is... just like any other Yamaha TRB-6 from the factory, except it has a custom paint job... and you can't buy them new anymore because Yamaha has discontinued them.

I hope this is all very clear now!

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Very nice paint job, by the way!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know you need cash, but if you were down for a trade, I would try to meet you halfway in Quincy, IL or something. That Trb6 of yours is sweet!:)

8. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    I really need cash. But I always WANT more music gear! So, if you have something in mind for a trade, send me a PM and I'll consider it. (However, the wife is just positive that I have enough gear now, so it might be a hard sell unless I end up with some fairly significant cash.)

9. Kevin Guin

Kevin Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    Bought one of these TRB-6 basses three years ago and it has really come into it's own. These are extremely formidable instruments with a powerful sound and a great build quality. I highly recommend them and this is a perfectly reasonable price. Actually for the quality, it is a great price.

I have heard that if you chuck in an Aggie OBP-3 pre it becomes a truly dangerous axe. I just happen to have one lying around but have not felt the need to put it in yet.

If you are not used to sixes it might take a while to tough up, but you really can't go wrong here.

My two cents.

10. I think you should say that this bass is painted, I mean: this is not the original finish and color. Would be great to say all the stuff made on this bass...;)

11. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    Did you miss the 4th paragraph?

Thanks for posting though. Your post got me to look at it again and I changed "painted" to "custom finish". It's not just slathered with house paint! It is a professional refinish with nitrocellulose lacquer, including many clear coats, and hand-rubbed to a nice satin.

Originally, Yamaha offered this bass in 4 colors: Charcoal Gray, Cherry Sunburst, Amber Satin, and Blue Satin. So, yes, this is not the original color.

The original color was amber. If you've ever seen some of the Yami amber paint jobs up close, you may notice what got me thinking about getting it refinished: the headstock and neck pocket colors do not match the body. The neck is maple and the body is ash, so the grain does not match and Amber over maple is much lighter than Amber over ash, so the neck pocket really stood out. They hand-paint fake grain on the headstock before spraying on the Amber and that pattern doesn't match either maple or ash. The head looked more orange than amber.

I like the new finish better but, as always, YMMV.

12. I'm sorry, I really did not notice your comments on the finish.

And yes, this is quite better than the original. I preffer your finish to the standar yammis, even the current TRB6II models avaiable.

Good luck, but you don't need it to sell the TRB... This bass is amazing! :bassist:

13. i WISH i had the cash. free bump for a great bass..

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Did you notice a difference in tone when you went from the factory finish to the nitro?

15. rb1

rb1

Sep 15, 2008
    Iowa
    The original finish was a soft satin finish, very thin, and possibly it was also nitro, though I couldn't say for sure what type of finish it was. But I did not notice any change in tone after it was refinished. It's still sounds fantastic, just like always!

16. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    SIGH.....Just beautiful. Wish I had the cash.:meh:

17. daveonbass

daveonbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    I had one of these for years, love the HUGE fretboard, mine sounded and played great - nice bass for the price here!

:)

18. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Another bump for a great bass. Someone should buy this. I have one very similar made in 1999, Japan, and I love it. Didn't think I would like the wide fingerboard so much at first, but that's now one of my favorite things about it. 34" scale is also nice if you are not a big person. Love the sound and feel, it's almost like what I would imagine a 6 string P/J-bass would be.

19. ovialexm

ovialexm

Jun 5, 2006
    nice!!!! :hyper:

20. JOHNNY LONG

JOHNNY LONG

Aug 25, 2003
    RICHMOND,VA
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.