1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: Zon Sonus 5/2 w/ truss rod

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by pickles, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Bought this recently, confirmed it had a truss rod, set it up crazy low, but it just isn't what I'm looking for right now. Back up for sale at the same price I paid, $1100. Here's the original thread. The hardshell will protect the bass in transit but its in pretty bad shape. The bass is in nice shape other than those couple dings and plays great.

ON HOLD PENDING PAYMENT

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643668

Soundclips:

http://www.themadmonkey.com/zonsoundclips/mellowship_blend.wav

http://www.themadmonkey.com/zonsoundclips/younglust_neck.wav

http://www.themadmonkey.com/zonsoundclips/warpigs_neck.wav

http://www.themadmonkey.com/zonsoundclips/freeway_bridgeblend.wav

http://www.themadmonkey.com/zonsoundclips/funkymonks_bnridgeblend.wav

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What is the tone like on this bass? I have only seen clips of Sonuses with the ssingle coils on Youtube.:confused:

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The tone is pretty huge. The pickups are basically a P and a double coil, so its like the spawn of a Modulus Q5 and a Fender P-deluxe, with a Zon twist. I really like the neck pickup for rock, and the blended tone is modern and potent. Its got a lot of top end from the graphite, but the softer than usual body (they're either alder or poplar) gives it a fatter/broader sound than an ash body zon. More of a rock bass than the Sonus Js.

4. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Great. Just great. This just had to show up now....
    I've had a lust-affair with this pickup/ pre config going on for waaaay too long...

Free jones-ing for a Zon bump.

Somebody buy my El Toro!

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Added some soundclips for you guys.

6. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    This was mine before it was pickles. I can vouch that this is a great bass. If I didn't only play 4 strings I would never have gotten rid of it.

This bass is will make someone very happy and I can say without a doubt that pickles is stand up guy and great to deal with.

7. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    are those clips played fingerstyle? what strings are those?

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Didn`t expect this one. I knew you were missing your former 5/2. It`s a pity that it doesn`t suit your needs.

I agree that it`s a great instrument with a broader, rocker, warmer sound than a Sonus Special. Body is made of Poplar.

I`ve found that Zon and DR Hi Beams work great with that bass.

Good luck with the sale Dave.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sounds great Pickles! It reminds me of a nice, bright Jazz.:bassist:

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Love the tone, but WOW... that's some heavy attack fingerstyle. Kind of caught me by surprise. At first I also thought maybe it was pick.

Great sounding bass.

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Believe me that you don`t have to push it "very" hard to get that sound. If action is low enough, you can get that punchy sound that simply kills during gigs.

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    All fingerstyle w/ DR hi-beams 45-130.

13. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    :D I was in a mood. I hit pretty hard and keep the action really low. I love the way that kind of tone pops in the mix.

Plus it shows off the killer grind this bass gets.

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its a great bass, and if I hadn't just finally got my Sadowsky 5 dialed in perfectly I'd probably keep it. Trying not to be a hoarder. I'm strongly considering putting another amazing bass up for sale, trying to just keep the ones I'm actively playing.

15. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    Bump for a killer bass. I wanted this thing so bad. These are rare and the price is ridiculous.

16. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    This one still here? WHY?!?!?!

BUMP!

17. dystopiate

dystopiate

Feb 21, 2008
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar
    This was mine once upon a time. It's a hell of a bass -- I just can't hang with anything that's over a 34" scale. I think some people get scared off by the cinnamon color, but it looks amazing under stage lights; it's just not a color people typically see in a showroom.

18. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Definately a great bass, definately not in a hurry to sell. Sold my 55-94 so the pressure is off financially. I'll still leave it listed FS. I could potentially get interested in trades for the right Stingray 4H, Sterling 5H, or a perfect C-neck 60's formula Precision (Lakland US, Fender AV or CS, etc).

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    bump

20. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    You have a PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.