1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS: Zon Sonus 5 String

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JonathanMc, Jun 1, 2012.

1. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I have a Zon Sonus 5 string bass. Made in the USA, not the import. Very clean condition. Now $1,800 including shipping CONUS. Sorry, but not interested in trades. OK, I have a soft spot for Modulus Flea 5 strings.....

Attached Files:

2. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Two more pictures

Attached Files:

3. Sywannab

Sywannab Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    very sexy... what year is this made?

4. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Not sure the year. Serial number is 929108. If made in 92, it is in incredible condition. Anyone else out there know how to interpret Zon serial numbers? I looked around and it seems they've changed their serial numbering system several times.....

5. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Just got off the phone with Zon. The bass was made in November, 2000.

6. Sywannab

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    just drooooling...

7. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    Wow! Don't see opaque-finished Sonuses too often. Love my Sonus 5, best bass I've ever played.

8. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Truss rod ???

9. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    No truss rod. Doesn't seem to need one. Neck is perfectly straight. Action is adjustable at bridge.

Regarding the finish, it is NOT a translucent black finish. I'd describe it as a "gloss piano black". Nice looking bass! Plays great. Love the sound even unplugged (for me, that is a sign of a quality bass when the tone is great even unplugged).

10. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Are you sure about the truss rod ?
    You should remove the neck to check, though. A bit of a hassle, but it could add value to the instrument.
    Great bass anyway!

11. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    If the neck must be removed to access the truss rod or even detect its existence, then I change my answer to "I don't know". I will contact Zon directly and ask them. Anyone else know how to tell without removing the neck?

12. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I checked with Zon: According to Zon customer service, the bass does NOT have a truss rod.

13. Sywannab

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    doesn't really need a truss rod. I have had two zon basses since 2005. no zon basses have any neck problem.

14. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    I owned a Zon made in the last two years, and it didnt have a truss rod. I was very hesitant but it came setup wih perfect relief, and never moved on me. I wouldnt have trusted a truss-rodless bass before then, but these are gold.

15. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    bump

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    as a general reminder of the classifieds forum rules :

these threads are NOT discussion threads. they are vehicles to sell gear. if you want to discuss the gear, send the seller a pm or start a thread in the regular forums. but any posting -anywhere- with the intent to hamstring a sale will be reviewed harshly, and any posting in a sales thread that is not explicitly and completely complementary to the gear and/or the seller is forbidden.

if you see anyone breaking this rule, please report the posts in question. thanks.

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    weight and string spacing?

18. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    8.8 pounds. 17.5mm string spacing at bridge

19. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    bump

20. JonathanMc

JonathanMc

Jun 29, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I'd consider trades for two high-end 2x10 vertically stack-able cabinets plus cash from you...