1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FSC Certified wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JLBW, Feb 24, 2008.

1. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Hey guys,

For a long time I've been looking for information about which wood species are endangered and which are not. The reason is that I only want to use FSC certified woods in my projects. It hasn't been easy to find accurate information about this but I was just recently in contact with an organization called Rainforest Relief and they have been really helpful so I figured I'd post a link (hope I'm not violating any forum rules by doing so). I hope more people are interrested in this and if so, please check out:

http://www.rainforestrelief.org/Wha...to_Choose/By_Tree_Species/Tropical_Woods.html

It's sorted alphabetically and all the woods listed are to be avoided if possible and if not should only be used if they have proper FSC certification.

If anybody has more information about this please feel free to post replies. :)

All the best

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Unfortunately, it can be very hard finding FSC certified woods, and if you do, it is generally limited to a handful of species. FSC certification requires documentation on every step in the chain of custody and requires all parties involved to make extra effort. Time is money.

If you make the effort of hunting down certifiable sources on your end it can be done, and my hat goes off to you if you do this. You will be working with a limited list of species and some of them are not well known so you will be doing some trailblazing figuring out which species work well for what.

Perhaps some others will be able to suggest FSC lumber retailers. Myself, I have to search Google. I got this hit searching for "FSC lumber":

http://www.nawpi.com/musicwd2.html

The other thing you can do is talk to the people where you buy wood locally. Tell them you are interested in FSC wood and maybe they can get some.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Try PEFC too.

4. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Yeah that's pretty much what I figured too. Thanks a lot for the link. I'll check it out now. I read in another thread here that you use "green" wood too. Hats off for you! I mentioned FSC to the sales rep at the local lumber yard here and he hadn't even heard about it. Hm.. I'm planning on moving back to SoCal next year and I know that it's easier to find domestic wood there that is referred to as standard in the industry so that might be easier. I think my biggest problem is a substitute for rosewood. Maple seems ok and from what I've heard from others chechen and katalox might be good as ebony substitutes. Do you have any experience with those woods?

5. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    Thanx a lot! That was brand new information for me.

6. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    LMii carries FSC blanks.

7. AlsoMike

AlsoMike Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    I had a look for FSC timber In the UK.

Dave Dikes sometimes stocks maple from FSC certified source but I dont know if he has chain of custody certificates. http://www.luthierssupplies.co.uk/

Boddys Timber in Borobridge holds loads of rock maple and mahogany, I believe these are FSC certified but please check! Ive got a nice piece of central american mahogany from them stamped FSC. They dont do mail order though. http://www.john-boddy-timber.ltd.uk/

I didnt find anyone stocking FSC certified Katelox in the UK :(

I read somewhere on the FSC website that PEFC is not always as strong as FSC - i'll see if I can find the page.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    In my industry (cartonboard) they're regarded as exactly the same. FSC are imho, blowing wind if they say that about PEFC. They're identical standards, but PEFC is for Scandinavia and FSC is generally for UK sources.

9. DanielM

DanielM

Jan 6, 2007
    Holland
    the local lumber store here (AFH Fijnhout in Amsterdam) carries almost exclusively FSC lumber, so if I'm right in thinking this, my last build has been completely FSC certified.

10. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

Try clicking on the alternatives section. Useless!

11. AlsoMike

AlsoMike Guest

Jan 28, 2008
    Found that link, its actually the greepeace good wood guide, not FSC website - apologies to the FSC:

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/MultimediaFiles/Live/FullReport/6759.pdf

12. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    I didn't think the information was complete either since most of the links didn't have any information at all so I contacted the organization and they told me that they're short on funds but they're working on it. They also told me that "all the woods listed are to be avoided if possible" which is what I wrote in the thread. :)

All the best

*Edit* Oops sorry. I just realized that you were talking about alternatives. It would be hard for them to suggest alternatives for what we do but I'm helping them with the little knowledge I have so maybe someday in the future. If anybody has any ideas on alternatives please post them here.

13. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I have used chechen and other swartzias (not katalox). In my experience katalox has been pretty hard to find. Gilmer has it now, maybe, if you are a fan of that store. The swartzias I have used carried no certification, as far as I know, and so the only thing they have going for them (besides being hard as iron) is their recommendation as "alternatives" by conservation groups. Certainly they are not used as heavily as ebony but who knows how prevalent they are to begin with? (maybe FSC does, I dunno)

Chechen makes a nice fingerboard, but ditto on the certification on that stuff.

I try to use domestics or alternatives, FSC when I can get it. I have some native pecan now that I am going to try to make fingerboards out of. Seems like it will do the job.

14. JLBW

JLBW

Jan 15, 2008
    Bavaria, Germany
    That's actually what my contact at Rainforest Relief suggested that I should try as well. It got my attention.

A drum maker suggested that I should contact http://www.earthsourcewood.com/ to see what they have. Do you know anything about this company?

All the best,

15. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    i heard that lignum vitae got put on the endangered list. luckly on of the wood shop teachers at highschool collects rare woods. he has some really interesting desert lignum. looks like a fire of dark red and olive green. there is enough to easily make an awsome full laminate top

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds like that top would weigh few pounds all by itself.