1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FSC Corvettes

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Sonic, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

I haven't seen many threads dedicated to this (I may just not have looked..at all..) but I'm just gonna go ahead and be a hippy for a minute.

I think it's really, really, exceptionally rad that Warwick makes basses with sustainable materials in a green environment. People don't often think of musicians as being the most socially aware people on the planet but I really like that Warwick/Framus takes the time, expense, and effort to ensure that we're gonna have available resources in the future. I just want to take a minute and really commend the company's decision makers for a step in the right direction. I hope more guitar/bass companies commit to the cause.

I'm glad that I have the option to rock responsibly. Thanks guys!

2. I've noticed that the necks on these are all-wenge. Great to see Warwick using that wood again, as ovangkol really isn't the same - hopefully this line will expand and more wenge-neck Warwicks will hit the market!

3. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Thanks Sonic! The FSC-certification is something we are VERY proud of. Warwick is now a leader in using *FSC-Certified Ebony, Wenge, and US Swamp Ash. The FSC wood (Forest Stewardship Council) carries the strictest guidelines - not only does the wood need to be FSC-Certified, but the factory too. There are 3 manufacturers in the US (Martin, Gibson, and as of February PRS) that are FSC-Certified. In Europe it is Sonor and Warwick. This guarantees, every step of the way, that our wood comes from legal certified forests, no forests that are being cut for agriculture use, no wood from countries with civil or traditional rights violated, and no genetically altered woods. It takes a lot of extra work, as well as expenses...but we feel it is the right thing to do! FSC guarantees an unbroken chain of custody...the forest must be certified, the mill, the shipper, and our facility. We have to store the FSC wood separate from our other woods, and account for all material lost due to drying, milling, and even sawdust from the building process! Its all accounted for, and certified.

Warwick decided to incorporate FSC for many reasons. We take pride in being a "Green" company. (We also received our EMAS-III certification http://warwick.de/modules/infos/info...ID=24213&cl=EN) We are committed to the environment - we have a special furnace to burn all of our waste wood to create thermal-energy that heats the facility, and we have the largest solar panel array in our region of Germany. (So much so that it even benefits the town we are in - Markneukirchen). We use a water-based lacquering system that is cured with UV light, so there is no chemical reaction and no harm to the environment from the lacquer. (Plus, with no chemical reaction the finish is ultra-thin, and has a 93%-95% clarity vs +/- 85% with traditional poly finishes). FSC-certification was a natural step for Warwick & Framus...and we hope in the future more companies will join in. At the end of the day, its just the right thing to do.

Thanks again for your kind comments!

4. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    RCCollins - Yes, indeed, they are all FSC-certified Wenge! See my other thread regarding input on Streamer Stage 1 necks - Maple or Wenge!! Thanks again...and nice Fortress Flashback in your avatar!

5. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    This may be a bit of a derail but I feel that if you buy a product that is made irresponsibly, like a new instrument using endangered woods or even (I saw this in person) a new gun using ivory, you are really just perpetuating the destruction of the planet. IMO you don't get a "cooler" product, you get one that makes me morally uncomfortable. Kudos to Warwick for not raping our planet to provide us with cool toys.

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    We agree bigalbass...and we will continue our efforts to produce instruments in a green environment, in the most responsible way possible! Thanks!