1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FSO: TUNE Zi-II 6 string (Japanese)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MoonDoggy, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    This is one of my dream basses, but like everyone else, money is tight. However if it doesn't sell, I won't be disappointed if I have to hold on to it!

Here's specs:

- 34" scale 3-piece maple neck-thru
    - Compact tilt headstock w/ reverse tuners (Ibanez Willis style buttons, but originals included)
    - The top and back is either Walnut or Macassar Ebony with an Ash core
    - Macassar Ebony fretboard w/ 24 excellent frets
    - Black hardware with slanted bridge (I measured 18-19mm spacing)
    - 3 1/2" at 24th fret, 2 1/4" at the nut (Brass nut)
    - Tune Guitar Technology humbuckers (logos are worn)
    - Bartolini NTBT 9V preamp (Vol, Blend, Bass, Treble) (EDIT: T, B, BLEND, VOL setup. It's odd, but it's also oddly comfortable!)
    - Recessed/Flush-mount strap locks
    - Upward facing jack (awesome for live stuff, although I've never had the chance :bawl:)
    - Bathroom scale weight is 11lbs. (There's some heavy hardwoods in this one!)

I was told this was a 1989, but I can't verify that. But...I can verify that the build quality, feel, and tone are second to none. There is just NO comparison to the older Japanese Tunes. I've had the Korean ones. They look great, feel good, and sound ok, but they aren't Japanese. For those not familiar with Tunes, the Japanese Tunes are NOT just an import bass. They are a high-end manufacturer for the Japanese market, which is why they're rare here. (Kinda like Bossa and Moon I guess.) That being said, I am no expert myself, so if you know anything about this bass that I forgot to mention, please give your input.

The condition is excellent, especially for being approx 20 years old. There is a scratch in the back of the neck behind the 11th fret on the treble side (will not be felt while playing). Small dent on lower side below 2nd pot. Small impressions on side above bottom strap lock. A few other hard-to-find flaws. Overall, for as old as it is and having a softer tung oil finish, it's in great condition.

I gotta get $1500 for this + shipping anywhere.

More pics:

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/moondoggy3/Tune ZiII-6/

TuneZi-IIFRCL.

TuneZi-IIBKCL.

TuneZi-IIBRDGEPUPS.

TuneZi-IIHDFR2.

Thanks

Dan

2. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Fabulous basses. I still miss mine

:crying:

3. Is there any way you could get some soundclips up? I really wanna to hear this thing!

4. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I may be able to get some clips, but it may take a while. I no longer have my desktop, so I'm limited to my laptop and whatever record features I can use with Windows/Media Player.

Thanks

Dan

5. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    This is a good price. If it were a 4 it would be gone. Here is a link to the official Tune (Japan) website

http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~tune/tune/framepage,tune.html

Tune Japan is not related to Tune Korea... 2 different instruments. i know some of the back story. This model is only made custom now. I wish I could find my old pricelist but I think this model is about $4000 new

Tune Japan basses are equivalent to Alembic or Fodera in the US... both pricewise and quality wise. I used to own a tune 8 string and I am looking for another.

Good luck Dan

6. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Imo, there is definitely a "Tune" sound. The great Benny Rietveld was a Tune player, and I hear that sound in a lot of the work he has done. Check out Santana's "Milagro" disc for a good example; I can't recall if he's using the exact same model there, but that's the sound my Zi-II used to get.

/rick

7. bassandbeyond

bassandbeyond

Aug 28, 2004
    Rockville MD
    Affiliated with Tune Guitar Maniac
    Cool bass. Is the first digit of that serial number a 2? I believe that would mean that it was produced in 1992. Regardless of whether it was late 80's or early 90's, that was definitely the heyday for Tune basses.

8. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Yes, the first serial # digit is 2. The whole serial # is 20887. This would make sense if it was a '92. It's rare that a manufacturers' serial numbers don't have the year in it somewhere. And there is no 9 in this number.

Thanks for the info and thanks to everyone on the compliments for the tone of these Tunes. This bass can really do it all- dirty aggressive growl, smooth buttery warm jazz, and great crisp and punchy slap 'n pop. I'm working on clips so you guys can hear this....

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Bump for a sexy bass.

You'd be surprised how nice that brass nut makes it sound.

10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    You could give Dan Altilio at Top Gear in La Mesa, CA a call.... he was the US distributor of the TUNE - Japan basses.

I'm REALLY glad it is not a 5'er...my wife would KILL me!

Dan K.

11. Glad it's not fretless....

12. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    TB Player, a fretless conversion isn't THAT expensive!

13. It looks like all of the strings are wrapped backwards except for the D string. Is that how you have to do it with this headstock/tuner placement?

14. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    All six strings get wrapped around the tuners on the outside. This is the reason Tune gets away with having such compact headstocks. It makes for Zero neck dive! I really wish all basses were this way. After a couple days of playing it, you never have to think about turning the buttons opposite of what's normal.

15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Ha! I had forgotten about this little quirk on my Tune. It was a surprise the first couple of times, but a no brainer after that.

/rick

16. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I'm still working on sound clips of this and the Lado. I just need a cheap mic and XLR-1/4" cable. I'll have one available this weekend (23rd or 24th), so stay tuned. (No pun intended. Ok, maybe a little!)

17. Doggy -

Yer killin' me.....

What's with the frets....

18. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    No longer for sale. But not quite sold either. I just want to hang on to this. I don't want to deal with the regret of losing any more of my Dream Basses!

19. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    OK, she's back on the market. I found a bass that is a little higher up on my Dream List of basses than this Tune (hard to imagine, I know)!

I have FOUR basses for sale now. This one will fund another dream bass. The rest will fund my financial woes. If another month or two goes by w/out a sold bass, I may have to resort to selling my body and turning tricks!

NOTE: THE WILLIS STYLE TUNER BUTTONS ARE NOT INCLUDED. (I CAN NO LONGER EDIT MY ORIGINAL POST.) THE BASS WILL COME WITH THE ORIGINAL BLACK TUNER BUTTONS.

ALSO: I forgot to mention that the silver "Tune Guitar Technology" text on the pickups is worn. You can still tell that is what it said, the silver coloring is just gone.

20. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Also another edit: It's a 4 piece maple neck, not a 3 piece. I'm sure this was a deal breaker. So now that everyone knows it's really a 4 piece, you can buy it!!!

Thanks for looking TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.