1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT: 1970's Ibanez lawsuit Les Paul copy.(Short Scale)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by peekypoo, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If this bass was a 34" scale it would not be up for trade..

1970's Les Paul copy by Ibanez..(Defintely a law suit bass)

No issues with neck ,frets, or electronics.

comes with a nice Sadowski like fitted case.

I am accepting trades only at this time..

My want list... Just about any bass in black..
    She weighs in at 8.5 lbs

Show me what you have for trade...:bassist::bassist:

06bb_3.

01f4_3.
    c657_3.
    0865_3.
    045d_3.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow! I've never seen one of these before! Is it 32" scale?

3. It's looks like 32" scale ,from the nut to the saddles ..:bassist:

4. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    STUPID QUESTION (and that's my quota for today): I had thought the term "lawsuit instrument" denoted an instrument that was licensed as PAYMENT of a judgment. In this case, it would be Gibson paying Ibanez.

But is that NOT the correct definition?

5. As I understand the term, 'lawsuit______' when referring to a closely-copied piece of merchandise is one that comes so close to the original that it may spur copyright infringement lawsuits.

Edit: Now, remember: no more stupid qustions today(I'd spend far less time here if I had a quota like that :rolleyes:).

Double-edit: On topic, SWEET BASS! I had a real LP Bass years ago, & it was the perfect ax for mid-70s Clint Eastwood SF chase scenes through desreted building, etc.
    [Goes out in garage looking for black spray paint...]

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
  7. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I limit myself to two a day. And believe me, there's a backlog...:help:

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    On a scale of 10 how is the fret wear?

Can you adjust the action to 'very low' with that bridge... never had a bass with that style of bridge before.

Is the neck bolt-on, or neck thru?

9. Plenty of fret life on this baby...

Bolt on neck..

Truss rod works fine, I have the action set low. This bass is a tone monster. Like I said before in my first post,( If it were a 34" scale, it would be staying put in my house:))

10. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

That's actually kind of cool....:)

11. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    For Ibas, at least, it's a term that therotically refers to styles that DID result in lawsuits, and that are therefore not made any more. But over the years it's just come to mean "competitor clone" -- many Ibanezes are called "lawsuit" models, but were never the subjet of a lawsuit...and at least one explanation I read indicates that there was only ONE lawsuit, and it was by Gibson over the copied headstock (which Hoshino/Elger/whatever changed voluntarily prior to the suit actually taking place). But go try to list one of those Ibanez Ric copies on eBay -- those listings get shut-down every time, I've been told...so, there, you could probably say with some certainty that those clones WOULD HAVE been the subject of a lawsuit if Ibanez kept making them (apparently they stopped all the cloning of styles after 78?)

So all that said -- this probably IS correctly identified as a lawsuit model (with the Gibson style headstock). And is definitely a very sweet bass! (and I'm presently trying to figure out what I can offer for it :) )

ltt

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    What makes this a "lawsuit" bass? Gibson never produced a model like this, did they?

GM

13. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    The lawsuit was over the use of the moustache-style headstock which Gibson claimed as their trademark. So, if Ibanez put that shape headstock on pretty much any instrument, it'd qualify as infringing on that trademark (if someone made cigarettes with a lid in that shape, that wouldn't violate Gibson's trademark...but I digress...), and so would probably be fairly termed a "lawsuit" model.

On the other hand, AFAIK, there was no lawsuit by Fender over the Fender-style headstock, so any of those Ibanez clones, technically, wouldn't be called "lawsuit" models...

14. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    The Term "Lawsuit" is WAAAAY over used, and usually incorrectly. I used to collect Lawsuit Era Ibanez's, and have read much on the topic.

Gibson filed a lawsuit against Ibanez in 1976, after Norlin bought Gibson. The point of infringement was the "Moustache" at the top of the headstock, of which this bass has one. So, the only TRUE Lawsuit instruments are Ibanez made Gibson copies with the Moustache headstocks. The term "Lawsuit Era" might be more appropriate. Anyways...

Ironically, Gibson showed up at a Trade Show in 1977, US Marshalls in tow, to serve Ibanez papers, and CONFISCATE trademark infringed Ibanez copies. But for some strange reason, Ibanez had switched to the Guild headstock for this show, and Gibson/Norlin looked QUITE foolish. Ibanez settled with Gibson out of court, and agreed to stop infringing on Gibson, and everyone else's trademarks, copy rights, etc...and start making Ibanez Originals. I'd say it was a good move!

Anyways, Nice Bass!

15. WILL CONSIDER DIFFERENT COLOR BASSES..SHOW ME WHAT YOU HAVE TO OFFER..:bassist:

16. 1FATDAD

1FATDAD

Jan 8, 2008
    Indiana
    wot du awl deez redd linze meen?
    bump:eyebrow:

17. WILL SELL OUTRIGHT NOW FOR $400.00 SHIPPED TO YOUR DOOR:bassist:

18. BUMP WITH NEW PRICE..:bassist:

19. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    PMS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.