1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT 1977 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by GeneralElectric, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This is just a feeler. I've got a crap load of Precisions and I can't play them all. I guess this is my chance to change things up a little.
    I'm interested in:
    -Stingrays (H, HH doesn't matter. I don't care if its Ray34 either)
    -G&Ls (L2000, L1000, etc)
    -Hollowbodies (Jack Cassidy, Artcores, Club basses, etc)

I might consider a trade for a lightweight Road Worn Sunburst or Fiesta Jazz or a Road Worn Sunburst Precision + cash from you.

Feel free to offer anything else interesting.

Trade value is $1100.

This is a great player but she's very heavy for me and I guess heavy in general. I've got a left shoulder injury which makes playing heavy stuff a chore. This is probably 11-12 lbs. Even though it literally pains me I've been bringing her out to nearly every gig I've played since I've gotten her. She sounds awesome too and with the bridge pickup she snarls. Unfortunately I have to be realistic and I know I can't be playing this for a few hours at a time.

The controls are V/V/T and there is a 3 way pickup selector. Original P-bass pickup and I believe a similar vintage jazz pickup. Original pots too I think unless I read the codes wrong. Extra pot is a mini pot. None of them are scratchy.

I generally don't solo the bridge pickup as it sounds a little thin on its own as its in the extreme bridge position. Not anemic but it just doesn't have the volume on its own. Perhaps a set up would alleviate this.
    I generally stick to the P-bass pickup and when I want a little more definition and growl I use both pickups.

The strings on here are from when my friend got the bass 15 years ago so they're really dead but I think they sound fantastic. If I keep the bass the strings will stay on it forever. From what he described it had either flats or ground wounds on it before. There isn't really any fret wear despite all the neck wear.

The non-original bits are:
    bridge pickup
    high mass bridge
    strap buttons (has strap locks on it now, I don't have the strap attachments)
    Pickguard

Aside from the jazz pup route there is maybe 3/4" route under the pickguard where the control cavity was slightly enlarged to accomodate the extra pot.

IMG_4607.

More pictures here: 77 P-bass pictures by ImSuperPoor - Photobucket

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Extra P-bass bump. My band wants me to keep it but my shoulder won't let me.

Any offers for a Stingray or an oddball bass?

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Original finish? My black 78 P has that same "murky" deep green tint to it in outdoor light so I'm assuming it is.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Original finish. :)

5. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    interesting...

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    What does the mini-pot control?

FWIW I modded my 78 P with an EMG bridge J pickup (in the "extreme bridge" position as on the OP's bass), and I never solo that either. But dial it up to 40-50% with the neck PU wide open and look out...

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    OK so the controls are volume, (p-bass pickup) volume, (jazz bass pickup) pickup selector switch, tone (master)

The P-bass volume control doesn't have a knob on it. Frankly it'd be a little cramped with on on there. However I just keep it on full all the time and just adjust the jazz pickup when and as needed.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    bump for some offers!

9. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    I have a sweet vintage G&L SB-2 I may consider if interested.

10. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Aug 11, 2010
    That's a lovely bass! I bet it sounds just as lovely too.

11. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    What's the neck width?

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I believe its 1 and 5/8ths but I'll double check with a tape measure after I finish doing laundry.

13. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    Bump

14. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    I am sooo glad Quadzilla isn't buying this it takes more effort to resist awesome basses when his stables just down the road are full.

15. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Still got the restored Shoreline Gold P Bass? I'll trade you a Coronado....

;)

16. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The 67 went away local unfortunately.

This P-bass is the modern P-bass width at a little more than 1.6 The neck really is a dream to play. Played it at rehearsal and a show last night. None of my other P-basses are getting love!

I got 3 interesting offers over the past few hours. Mulling it over bump.

17. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Another boat anchor 70's P bass. Even that, they play and sound good. A real wide strap works to distribute the load.

Bump

18. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This looks to be leaving the GeneralElectric Bass Emporium tomorrow. Trade pending!

19. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    Bump

20. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Finally got around to changing the strings and giving her a set up. There is some minor wear on the first few frets, no biggie. Trade is postponed to monday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.