1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT: 1987 MusicMan Stingray Great condition w/OHSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Navybass, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    This 1987 Stingray is in very good condition for it's age and has the best flame maple and birdseye figuring that I've ever seen on the neck . This is a rare find as the older Stingray's are getting harder to find, especially in this condition. As you can see from the pictures, this bass has the older style decal, no "made in..." decal on the back of the headstock, Alnico pickup, Bullet style truss rod adjustment nut, 4 bolt neck plate, older style bridge with mutes and serial number stamped on the bridge, a 2 band EQ, skunk stripe on the neck, made in USA, and metal covered battery compartment.

This bass is all original. Nothing has been switched out or modified.

Now for the condition. It has the usual dings of a 20+ year old instrument but nothing too serious. There is a wear spot on the tummy cut that you can see in a picture. The frets are in great shape, the truss rod works well, and the action is nice and low with no fret buzz. The string mutes are in good shape. The electronics work fine.

This bass has that classic Stingray tone (it is an older Stingray after all).

The bass comes with the original MusicMan hardshell case. I had the case professionally re-tolexed because years had taken it's toll on the old tolex and had new latches put on because the old ones had broken. The case is structurally sound and protect the bass very well.

If you are looking to buy a classic Stingray, this bass will give you many years of playing enjoyment. I have owned newer Stingrays and in my opinion, these older ones blow the new ones away!

What I'm looking for in trade:

Fender USA Reissue 75 Jazz Bass
    Fender USA Reissue 63 Jazz Bass (Stack Knob)
    Fender USA Elite II Precision Bass
    Rickenbacker Bass (probably a long shot, but what the heck!)

Or run something interesting by me.

Stingrayfullfront.

Stingraybodyfront.

Stingraybodyback.

Stingrayheadstockfront.

Stingrayheadstockback.

Stingrayneckback.

2. chf3354

chf3354

Jan 26, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    PM SENT ! :hyper:

3. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't suppose you'd be interested in my KS Burner? Seems a world away from the stuff you listed, but that bass of yours is right up my alley...

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Seriously tempted to trade my JG4003 for this.....hhmmmmm:ninja:

5. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    You know you want to. :smug:

Anyway, I wish I could put in to words how wonderful this bass plays and sounds.

I've had Stingrays with 3 band EQ's and to be quite honest, I like the 2 band better. They seem to be voiced better. Plus, that neck wood is just stunning. The neck is a dream to play, very fast. The action on this bass is lower than any other Stingray I've ever owned. The frets are in very good shape and have a lot of life left in them.

6. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Oops, almost forgot to say, I'll throw in a clear pickguard I had custom made for this bass. This way the new owner can choose between the BWB original pickguard and a clear one to change the look every once in a while. :p

7. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Breaking news story, This just in..........

Just looked, and the date on the neck is Aug 1987. With that, I'm going to say that the bass was made in 1987.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Interested in an ULTRA CLEAN 83' Elite I P w OHSC? It's literally the best playing P I've ever picked up (no bs).

9. I played a lot of gigs with this Stingray. Bump for a very cool bass.

10. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Two questions - are you interested in a cash sale, and would you ship to Australia? (I've got a Rick 4003 that I'd trade but it doesn't make sense for both of us to pay international shipping)

11. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    Traded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.