1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FT: Alembic F-1X Preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by vlad335, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Honestly don't know why I am listing this. I guess I am in that weird place to try something different. Since i don't have any money to buy another preamp right now this is the only way. :bawl:

Ok for starters I want to say I absolutely love this preamp. I once swore I would never get rid of it and may still come to my senses. I got it here on Talkbass 5-6 years ago in a trade. (Before the feedback system was put in place.) Numerous changes throughout the years to my rig have taken place but this preamp has remained in my rack. One striking thing about it is every bass I plug into it sounds good. My $129 SX bass sounds almost as good as my $3000 Lakland.

Enough of that or I will talk myself right out of this. For full disclosure there is one problem with this unit. The crossover doesn't function like it should. When you go out of the high and low outputs the gain is weak. Also, the knob that controls the high frequency level just spins with no stop. To me this is nothing because the crossover in this unit is pretty crappy anyway. (6dB filter only) The rest of the pre functions perfectly using the full range output and sounds awesome.

Last year I was having some gain issues and I had this completely checked out. Contacts were cleaned and a couple solder joints redone but I was told initially that the pre was OK. As far as the crossover, the tech was having trouble finding a pot for it and I decided against having this fixed anyway. Apparently the high frequency pot in the crossover is the culpret and a replacement would bring it right up to spec. Turned out the gain problem was my QSC amp taking a crap after 6 years and I had it fixed by QSC authorized service. Everything is good now.

What am I looking for in a trade? I don't know... Wanting to try a Avalon U5 lately or any other mic pre. Got one with rack ears? Maybe an Eden Navigator? Tube or Solid State, run it by me.

I have tried numerous tubes in this and the 2 best I have run across are a Mesa Boogie 12AX7 and a Phillips 5771. I have a hard time deciding between the two so will include both if we do a deal.

Attached Files:

2. kingjere

kingjere

Feb 13, 2006
    willing to sell it?

3. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Don't know... Will have to think about it. PM me an offer.

I would have to get another preamp quick if i did.

4. kingjere

kingjere

Feb 13, 2006
  5. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Actually the slope is 12db...

Your crossover pot needs replacing, it costs about USD$50. That should reinstate the crossovers full functionality unless there is something else wrong with the crossover board, which is easily replaceable.

6. I'm not sure if this helps or makes things worse, but of all the gear I've sold over the years, the F-1X is #2 on my list of regrets. That thing is nothing short of awesome.

7. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I know what you mean. That's what I am afraid of. I have a couple offers I am agonizing over now. :confused:

8. just to toss it out Intersound Ivp?

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hey Bro, If I were you, I'd keep it. Sounds like you are going to have seller's remorse bigtime. You obviously love it.

If you are just looking for a change in sound, why not buy an effects pedal that will alter the sound. Something like a SABDDI or VT pedal (or many others). You could always buys used and then resell if you get tired of it for basically hardly any loss.

Then after a month, or whatever, your ears will be fresh and F1x will be like coming home.

My .02

10. kingjere

kingjere

Feb 13, 2006
    zip it ::::BASSIST:::: :)

I wouldn't blame if you wanted to keep it. I want it so bad because I sold mine last year to fund a move.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I dont blame you for being terse Kingjere. :cool:

12. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Alembic preamp was traded. Thanks Fretman4God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.