1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FT: All original 1978 Jazz bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by gkbass13, Jan 12, 2012.

1. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    FT: I have a 1978 (s8 serial number) Fender jazz bass in GREAT condition!

plays great, sounds killer with the installed EMG pickups, but the original pots and pickups are included. Also has the original harshell case and bridge ashtray.

I aquired the bass recently in a trade from the original owner. The bass has sat ina case for most of the last ten years and it shows. The finish is in great condition. it has that signature 70's ash body and a bit of heft to it (10.8 lbs) but it sounds killer.

Another cool feature is that the neck is bound with dots....definitely classy.

Looking for lakland Skylines(JO's or 44-02's), Highend(boutique) 6ers, singlecut 5's, Sadowsky Metro's, Nordy Classic jazz, Fodera NYC's, etc... +/- cash as necessary.
    Willing to trade this bass plus my Nordy VJ5 towards a Fodera potentially...

-Grady

2. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Here she is:

Attached Files:

3. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    A couple more:

Attached Files:

4. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Pm me your email address if you would like larger pics.

-Grady

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Dot inlays means this is going to be an '81/'82 bass.

6. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    How can I verify the year? Would I have to check the neck pocket?

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
  8. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Thanks for the help, guys. Te serial number is Written S 8*****. Every site I've checked says that makes it a 78 model. Honest Abe was very helpful and said that he had a very similar bass turn out to be a "rare transitional" period bass made in 81-82, despite the serial number confusion. The binding is a cool touch, and also serves as a bit of an indicator. I will take it to a local shop tomorrow to have it checked out, set up and appraised. Thanks all!

Grady

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    take the control plate off and just date the pots.

10. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Looks like an 81/82 to me. A couple friends of mine had the same S8/S9 serial with binding and dot inlays. I believe the dots started in the early 80's. There was a lot of serial number sticker recycling going on then to use up. Pull the neck and check the neck code and pots.

11. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    This is fun and interesting learning about this instrument. It also has a 3 bolt neck. From what I've read that would more likely make it 80/81 than 82, but as has been stated, there was a lot of part recycling going on.

Is there a possibility of it being a product of the Fullerton factory, or was that later? I'm a vintage fender noobie.

Grady

12. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes this was built at the Fullerton Factory. The S8 serials were used from 78 all the way through 82.

The (black) dots with (white)binding were a unique feature of the early 80's Jazz (81-82). Only block inlays before that.
    The neck usually has a stamp, as well as the undersides of the original pickups (last two digits,) and the pots.

Very nice Jazz though!

13. dave79

dave79 Rest well Fish Supporting Member

I had one like this, the pots dated it to 83

14. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Pots say 250k A R1378226

One pickup has a grey bottom, and the other is red.

Every site I've checked has said that te 3 bolt design, as used on this bass, was gone as of 81. Maybe it is just an oddity from 82?

15. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awesome bass!
    I have one of these "transition period" basses as well. Neck stamped 1982, body 1978. 70's pickup spacing.
    Fantastic neck! So easy to play.

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Nice bass, but title of thread is not accurate (and misleading). No disrespect intended, but I was expecting to see a real 78 and this is clearly an early 80's J... Best of luck w the sale!

17. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    I found all this out after posting. No attempt at being misleading. I'm at work and was planning to make a new thread tonight, as this one has become more informational than anything. Sorry to disappoint, quad!

18. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Again, as stated, no disrespect intended. You are doing the right thing (killing this and making a new thread). Again, best of luck w the sale G!

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    sweet bass either way! i dig the binding with dots. someone was selling one of these on ebay a while back with a george gruhn appraisal. the appraisal stated 1978 even though it was dots and all the parts dated 82. kind of makes me take those pro appraisals with a grain of salt.

20. gkbass13

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Definitely agree about the appraisals. It is clearly a late 1980-1983 bass. The three bolt neck is what makes me think it is earlier in that range. If it is from the first year of that run of bound/dotted cream pickups basses, that would be sweet!

Still not opposed to fielding cash+trade offers while waiting to recreate the thread. I have a visit scheduled at the fodera shop in February and might have to get some scratch together for a deposit!

Grady