1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT: Custom Built Pro Luthier/Carvin Neck & Hardware 5er. Beautiful...

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by xhawk5, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Cleaned up the thread a bit.

FOR TRADE ONLY

This is a great custom 5'er with a custom ordered Carvin neck and tuners. It was built by JJ Helms, and you can click this to see some of his work at Low End Bass Shop. It's in excellent condition. Josh cut and designed the headstock as you see it. He built, shaped, routed, and wired the body plus everything else to complete it. It's a custom one-off model.
    *A Pro fret-job, neck adjustment, and bridge work was done by Audric at Proline Music in PA.* The work completed on 5/17/12 and cost $240. including a new set of D'Addario EXL 170-5. (Receipt included with trade/sale).

Very nice, Warm & Punchy tones to Slap Happy sillyness. Plays amazing, absolutely the easiest 5-string I've had the pleasure to play. The 'B' string is not floppy whatsoever AND has a String-thru option for even more contact with the body. Nice and focused B. The pickups are run passive, volume-volume-tone for a wide array of sounds. From a nice Jaco Jazz Bark to a Thick Pick-Heavy Rock. Does Blues to New Metal with ease.
    Recently installed a Honer 2-band preamp and that changes up the tone. It makes the bass sound like you're in the studio. Very clean and punchy, a 'lil dark, (as in no fret noise or twang. Think JPJones in the studio)but that's what I like. I'm old school fingerstyle. I'd love to hear someone with Slap skills tear it up and get 'Slap-Happy'. Imagine what a 3 band Aggy or Nordy would sound like with all the coil taps/options ect..!! Bass will be put back to passive before sending.

EDIT: Hipshot Bridge. (I re-measured and listed the CORRECT string spacing at the bridge to be adjustable from 16mm to 18mm)

The body is Alder. Slightly shorter jazz bass shape, and the guitars full length is 43" long, as to the standard 45". I like thin necks and smaller bodies than traditional stuff. This shorter design, again, makes it so easy to play.
    The top is a really nice figured maple burl with a dark stain. (it came out way better than anticipated)

A bit of background regarding this bass's components:
    The Carvin neck has an ebony fingerboard, 1.75" nut width, and 14" fingerboard radius, with 22 frets and a 34" scale length as installed on this bass. The frets are medium-jumbo and are of hard alloy material, the nut is graphite, and the fingerboard is diamond-ground to be accurate within 1/1000 of an inch. Here is the link to the neck blank on Carvin's website -- Carvin.com - Custom Shop :: n522
    These powerful Seymour Duncan Basslines 1976-voiced Music Man-type humbuckers have a higher output than many active pickups (with preamp engaged); here is a description on the Duncan website -- 4/5 string for Music ManĀ® (alnico) SMB-4a & -5a - Seymour Duncan 4-String
    The actual weight of this bass (according to my shipping scale) is closer to 8.75 lbs., still plenty lightweight for a 5-string bass.

The neck is extremely nice, straight, true and GREAT action/setup. It balances perfectly.

If you'd like to refer to previous threads on this bass, please do so in a PM. I will answer anything you need to know.
    I just re-acquired this bass back from a TB'er I sold it to last year. He had a pro fret job and... well here is his description...
    Carvin Parts equal or exceed the quality of Warmoth parts. I think they both are top notch and equal in value. Take that with some salt.

TRADE INTEREST: I'm looking for a nice 4 string. A Lakland DJ would be the preferred choice since I like "Downsized Bodies" but I am NOT impartial to Fenders or other brands for that matter. (There is over $1400 in parts and labor, including the fret-job, put into this stunning bass.)

This deal Includes a nice Road Runner hardcase, AND shipping to the Con US. THIS IS A GREAT DEAL FOLKS!! and I will entertain all offers. Please play nicely.

JoshHelmsCustom5-fullfrontalshot-1.

JoshHelmsCustom5-bodyneckclose-up-1.

JoshHelmsCustom5-backbodyclose-up-1.

Headstock tip has been sanded and leveled since this photo. Hardly noticeable. Besides some slight worming on the back, this is the ONLY flaw on this bass! Trussrod cover has been put back on.
    JoshHelmsCustom5-headstockclose-upfront-1.

2. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    On Hold... Deal Pending.

3. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    And... still available. Some PM's I didn't save. Resend if you want.

4. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Somebody please do something this bass is making lose sleep! Free bump

5. mixx80

mixx80

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist:Lakland Basses
    I know ! I keep looking also.

6. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    A body shot in the sun.

Attached Files:

7. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    I unpacked it and I'm really losing interest in letting this one go. Hmmm...

8. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    TTT

9. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    Asked what the trade value was in a pm, guess i'll try this way. Trade value?

10. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Considering the components used in the build , quality of the build, pro fret job and set-up... I would guess and hope for around $950. And that's a great deal from my perspective. Sorry I missed your PM.

BTW, this doesn't mean I WANT a trade worth $950. It's only a reference point. I've found that GAS is in the eye of the beholder. There is an $825 bass that I'd gladly trade even for. I've also backed out of an $1150 trade. I guess trades are funny like that. It's more fun and rewarding to trade than sell n buy, IMHO.

11. Zitch

Zitch

May 12, 2010
    Akron, Oh
    No problem and thx, yes it looks like a wonderful instrument. Are there any sound clips or video of it?

12. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Thx. No sound clips, sorry. If I remember correctly, the TB'r I sold it to and then bought it back from said it was similar to a MusicMan HH due to the pup placement. I would imagine you would get alot of variations with split coil preamp wiring. Many options available like a MusicMan Big Al.

13. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    What a beautiful bass.Nice one Xhawk5.I wish the G was closer to the value on this one.Im sure it awesome.

14. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Thx bassman. Believe me brother, I've considered the trade possibilities. Peavey's have always been my Fav basses. And a White G-bass is just right. :D

15. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Pmd

16. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    TRADED and SHIPPED!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.