1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FT: FBB SC 7 String

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by pointbass, Jan 9, 2012.

1. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yup, I've had this bass listed a couple of times but was never able to close a deal on it. For the past few months I was on a back & forth for a trade deal for another FBB 7 (fretless) but it kind of fizzled out on me. So, third time is a charm :D

First of all, this bass has been played extensively, so it is not in pristine shape .... it's not beat to death by any means, but it's a players bass so it shows some minor scars. Functionally, the bass is 100% fantastic, all electronics are perfect, the neck is simply beautiful, it balances like a dream and has a killer presence on a gig or recording session. It was custom built by FBB in 2006 to my specs and Matt did an amazing job with it .... literally took my breath away when I picked it up at his shop .....

[​IMG]

Bass specs:
    FBB Bass # 1112-06
    7 string fretted, 35" scale, 24 frets
    18mm string spacing
    Extended single cut Atlas body
    5A quilted maple top, quartersawn African mahogony back
    Matching quilt maple headstock veneer
    5 piece neck, rock maple/bloodwood
    Morado fingerboard bound in birds eye
    FBB/Dingwall custom pickups
    Audere Z-mode pre-amp
    Black hardware, Hipshot 18mm A-style bridge, Ultralite tuners
    THG Custom knobs
    Dunlop StrapLocks
    LaBella DT flatwounds (B-C), plain steel SIT F
    Slim neck profile
    Body specs: 13-13.875" wide, 10-21.375" upper bout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These three pics are the "pretty" shots, I have attached a current pic at the bottom to show real life after almost 6 years gigging. As you'll see, the bass is still in excellent shape :cool:

I'm looking for one of three potential trades:

1. Fretless 7 string
    2. Fretless 8 string
    3. Fretless 5 string

I currently play the finest 6 string I have ever seen/played, so no 6's for a trade deal. I don't play anything fretted any more, so if it's fretted I can't use it. I don't care about lined vs unlined so that's not an issue. If it's a 5 string, I'd prefer it be "fender-esque" in appearance. Finally, I'm a big guy and I simply can't play a small bodied bass so I would need whatever comes in a trade to have some meat to it ;)

This bass was over $3K when it was built, and I currently value it between $1600 - $1800, so trades have to be somewhat in that price point. Lesser value basses would be considered + $$$ on your end. I'm not interested in putting up money on my end, unless the trade offer is of exceptional interest to me.

I'll be happy to provide full, detailed pics to serious offers. Essentially, this 7 needs some cleaning to get it back to pristine condition ... there are no gouges or breaks anywhere on the bass, just player funk from working hard. You can hear clips of this bass on my web site or YouTube channel.

I've had some incredible trade offers in the past, but many were for 6's or fretted basses of varying string configurations and I'm grateful for some of the generous trade offers, but I'm looking for the things detailed above .... hopefully we'll get a love match this go-round :cool:

Attached Files:

2. DuhBassMan

DuhBassMan

May 13, 2010
    Albany
    I remember this bass a year or so ago when i was lusting after it...i have since had my Custom Brubaker 6 changed from Fretless to a Fretted bass...and i swear i own one of the finest 6'er ever made from any company...still...i remember...

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, ed, i've always really liked this bass.

what's the spacing at the nut, from the center of the lowest string to the center of the highest? thanks. :bag:

4. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    I've had a lot of good offers pop up this time around .... a couple which are really interesting :) I'll leave this here for a few more days to see what else is out there, hopefully be making a decision by the weekend. I located some good pics that reflect the current condition of the bass .... if anyone is interested, PM me your e-mail address and I'll get them to you.

John, I'll have to measure the nut .... definitely wider at the nut than any of the GT7's I've owned, but not crazy wide-spaced. I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks for all of the interest from those who have PM'd :cool:

Pic of the nut & headstock

[​IMG]

5. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    First, re: string spacing at the nut .... the nut itself is 2 1/4" wide, with string spacing center of the B to center of the F @ 1 13/16". Spacing at the bridge is 17.88 mm.

I've had several really nice trade offers, three of which are quite interesting. The interesting ones are 5 string fretless basses ..... still like to see if anyone has a fretless 7 or 8. I'd be willing to look at a lesser value bass with some cash added on your end, too.

None of the traders are in any big rush, so I'll bump this up for another few days. BTW, I'd be very interested in either a Valenti or LowEnd fretless 5 (or 6/7 for Low End). I have some good detailed pics of the bass for anyone interested, just PM me with an email address so I can send you something with a higher resolution ....

Thanks to all for your interest & great offers ... :cool:

6. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Are you strictly looking for a trade? Or would you be willing to sell?

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    A sale isn't an issue, but $1600 is a firm price. That includes shipping via FedEx ground. PayPal, usps money order, or green folding stuff with dead presidents
    :cool:

8. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Friday morning bump ...

Leaving this up a few more days to see what else is out there ... some nice trade offers and a couple of potential outright sales so far. I'll finalize this by Sunday :cool:

9. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Last bump!