1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FT Feeler: Rare Abe Rivera 4 String

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by adam clinton, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I guess I have come to the conclusion I have incurable GAS and am a gear “freak”…I need help :help:

I am just putting this out as a FT feeler…really not all that motivated to move this and probably won’t unless there is something that really grabs me. This is pretty much the normal cycle for me after I have had a bass for a while.

This is a very rare Abe Rivera 4 string bass – he is best known for building Kevin Eubanks guitars. From a bass perspective most known for a fretless he built Jerry Jemmott that was played by Jaco in one of the instructional videos.

This site is about as much as you can find on him or these…..http://www.aberivera.com/

Not sure of all of the types of wood on this except that the top and back are spalted birch and I believe the core is Padauk. The body is thicker than the pictures really show, I can try and get some other angles, probably about 2 inches thick. I believe the weight is 9.8 lbs (lighter than it looks) based on when I got it from Brian @ LowEnd.

Jazz width narrow neck, plays beautifully. Passive Bartolini jazz pickups V-V-T with an EQ switch and kill switch for muting. Fat, Fat tone, sounds much thicker than your normal jazz bass even though it has the 2 jazz P/U’s

Intricate inlayed copper on the front – the word on the top is “Waddles”…Abe inlays the name of the person he builds the instrument for, which in this case was someone named Mr. Waddles…Can do more of an “in hand” description is someone is interested

I am pretty open to what I may consider in a trade with the caveat that this was an expensive bass…well over $3K used and probably well over $5K new…his more intricate guitars are probably closer to $10K

Thx - Adam

2. Pics

3. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    How about a Rickenbacker?

4. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    How about a YamElectra??

5. Oh Bruce...so tempting...your assembly skills are unmatched ;)

6. Thx for offer, I wish I like the way Rics felt better, they just never felt great in my hands. I do love the look and tone though!

7. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio

HEY!! Are you being sarcastic?? :eyebrow: :p

BUMP for a super cool bass from a super TBer!! Adam's got the rare gift of sniffing out really cool basses. Snatch it whilst you can, folks!

8. pm'ed ya

9. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Wow, you don't see these too often. Kevin Eubanks plays Abe Rivera guitars and his tone is glorious...

10. Bump...

11. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Oh yeah! I played a Rivera 4-string at one of the Long Island Guitar Shows back in the 90's; it was a sublime experience. Sensual even.

That one was pretty light and well balanced. How's this one in the weight department?

/rick

12. Good balance...about 9.8 lbs so pretty light for how thick the body is

13. TTT

14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    hey adam, still thinking about this one...sorry i haven't gotten back to you sooner, the new house is taking all my free time these days.

15. Hey Evan - no problem - not in a rush...I have a few possible things in the works but we can chat

I know the joys, and hell, of a new home...As I mow the lawn every weekend in the sweltering sun I think of the joys of apartment living ;)

16. May have local deal in works...but another bump

Ideally looking for a 6 string

17. mgauction

mgauction Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    That used to be my bass. It is completely fantastic. I also got in a GAS situation, which is the only reason it went.:bawl:

18. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    cool...if you can, give me a heads up if you suddenly become in a rush.

19. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    i still wish you wanted a rickenbacker :(

20. I wish you had a nice 6 string Jaymi ;)