1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT Feeler: Rare Ampeg AMB "2.5" Dan Armstrong 5 string bass prototype

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sunbeast, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here is a super-rare and super- awesome Dan Armstrong 5-string prototype made for Ampeg in Japan- serial # DA00110003( maybe the 3rd- possibly last-ever built!)....I've never even heard of another one, let alone seen one- these 5 string long scale Dan Armstrongs were never put into producton before Ampeg dropped their whole instrument line! In the neck pocket there is some Japanese writing and a scrawled "AMB 2.5"- possibly what this model would have been called if released. Unlike the AMB-1 Dan Armstrong basses that were shorter scale, this one has a 34" scale (long scale). I've had it for around 2 years and bought it from the original owner, who bought it directly from the SLM factory I believe (although the bass was made in Japan!). The body is mahogany, the neck is a nicely figured maple with a rosewood board (could be Pau Ferro- thats what the original owner thought...) The hardware is all custom Gotoh (bridge/ tuners), and is all original except for one replaced tuner (G string) (the originals are satin-chrome, which I couldn't find anywhere- so I replaced it with a normal chrome tuner and switched out the little metal disc at the end with the Ampeg logo on it- the difference is not very obvious unless you are looking for it!). The pickup is a Seymour Duncan Music-Man and there is an EMG active preamp with bass, treble, and volume controls and also a series/ parallel switch for the pickup.

Now for the interesting part- when I got the bass, it was a sparkly Sherwood Green Laquer color. I always loved the bass but always despised the color. I had taken the neck off to see what the body wood was before and was very impressed with the natural grain, so I decided to refinish it in natural with a Tru-Oil finish. About 2 months or so later I had this! I can honestly say that it is the most beautiful bass I've ever played- you really have to see it in person! (not to pat myself on the back too much for the refinish!)

IMG_0206.
    IMG_0218.
    IMG_0208.
    IMG_0211.
    IMG_0215.
    IMG_0213.

Note- the red scratch looking thing on the neck plate is the camera flash- also, the truss rod cover has the Ampeg logo, but it is somewhat covered by the A string!

I really do love this bass- it has a super fast neck, and is capable of lower action than any of my other basses. The spacing on the neck was a little hard to get used to at first, but now I love it (the neck is fairly skinny for a 5 string and the strings come very close to the edge of the board). Currently I have it strung with D'addario Chromes and it growls! Its really just a little too polite sounding for the music I play now- it has a very Stingrayish sound/ mojo soundwise, which has never really been my thing but works on this bass (and I always hated the way Stingrays looked- especially in comparison with this!). I am more of a G&L kinda guy these days!- I need some more hot PASSIVE basses! Still- I'm only contemplating getting rid of it because of SEVERE GAS! (I love this bass too much to sell it- trades only!

I'm especially looking for lots of different cabinets I've wanted to try out. Specifically, larger Schroeder cabs- 410, 412, 210212, 310212...Aguilar GS412....Bergantino NV215 or NV425- basically nice, efficient cabs that will bring the best out of my Mesa 400+. Also, G&Ls with maple fretboards- especially SB-2s, L2000s, L2500s, L1000s, L5000s....you know- any of the beasts....Also, Darkstar'd basses...I really gotta try one out! (especially one of those Darkstar'd Laklands- though that seems unlikely!)

I might also be interested in nice hybrid and SS amps- especially old Acoustic (brand!) amps and Sunn. Or really just make me some offers- I plan to try everything eventually!

Oh yeah- comes with the original hardshell case that it was sent to the first owner in- not a perfect fit (it slides around a bit in there- not horribly though)

Thanks, PM or email for more photos/ questions, etc...
    Karl Zickrick

Coloradoans feel free to come try it out!

(sorry if this post is a little hard to understand- I'm fairly sick at the moment!)

2. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Springfield, MN
    sent..

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Wow. Very, very cool.

4. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    bump!

5. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    Cool bass and a little double bump from a fellow denver bass player.

6. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks!

Karl

7. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    bump!

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Well don't that just beat all...I've been around for a looong time, and never seen one of those-dat's kewl mate!

9. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Geez, nobody? Bump!!

10. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    bump.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.