1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FT Feeler: Roscoe Beck IV Sunburst/Maple

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by slap2much, Mar 22, 2009.

1. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Saw another bass that I want to pick up, so I'll let this one go for $1175 shipped as long as a certain Suhr is still available! Otherwise looking for that trade as outlined below...

Hey, all. I have a Roscoe Beck IV Honey Burst with a maple/maple neck. Pretty close to perfect condition, includes various accessories (unmounted ramp, Fender hardshell case, etc)...just came to the realization that although I really dig the versatility and sound, I want to switch to a pau ferro fretboard.

Ideal trade for me would be an RB in similar shape, I like the 'burst and the LP blue but not ruling out other colors. Might consider a neck-only swap as well. I'll get a few more details and pics up soon.

I guess I'd consider other basses too, looking for something that's extremely versatile tone-wise, passive (or at least the ability to switch into that mode), with a jazz-type neck. Not really a G&L guy, at least I couldn't get comfortable with an L-2000. Only thing I'm not looking for is a jazz bass with a maple fretboard -- I'm set on those.

Thanks!

2. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Terrible no-natural-light-in-the-basement-at-night pics, also didn't get a chance to photograph the HSC (Fender black/orange, I think) with all the case candy inside. When natural light and my time permits I hope to improve upon this, but at least you can see I really do have a bass:

PICT0088-1.

PICT0089-1.

PICT0092-1.

PICT0095-2.

PICT0097-2.

PICT0098-2.

PICT0099-2.

PICT0100-2.

PICT0101-1.

Also noticed I should amend my 'perfect' condition statement earlier; there are a couple scratches on the back of the body (not through to the finish), the pickguard notch for the truss rod wrench shows a little wear, probably from a straight hex wrench adjusting it, and one of the adjustment screws on the bridge is not original (it's the same size, just chrome instead of black--not noticeable from head on at all).

More soon. Thanks for the offers so far.

3. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    RB IV Bump! I have this same bass, with Pau Ferro Boards. AWESOME Bass! I'm not ALLOWED to bring any other bass to practice!

I believe this color is called Honey-Burst. SWEET as Honey!

DSC00092.

4. NYCBass

NYCBass Gold Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Queens NY
    I have a Honey Burst Maple board now and I can tell you all that is a Killer Bass. I would have to say one of the best New Basses "IMO" that Fender has made in some years. If this had a rosewood board I would be all over this Bass. Amy one who gets this Bass will be very happy with.

5. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Madd, NYC -- Agreed! I have absolutely no complaints with the tonal options, just looking for a change of pace fretboard-wise. As usual with me, though, I can't control the GAS so will sell to purchase something else I have my eye on (see my edited top post).

6. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Still available?

7. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Wow, it's been a while...well, I didn't find any takers the last time I bumped this up. I have since bought and installed a gold anodized (but plastic) pickguard (excuse the one not so great picture):

PICT0220.

The bass I was trying to free up funds for is long gone, but I'd still like to talk trade with someone who has a Pau Ferro fretboard RBIV. I don't really need the cash right now but might consider a sale if the price is right...

8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I thought the RBIV was rosewood not pau ferro

9. slap2much

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm not sure when the production switch took place but I believe the earlier years (maybe til 2003? or 04?) were pau ferro.

edit: Of course if I'm wrong that would explain why I've not heard back from anyone on this trade request...:)

10. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Okay, Mystery Solved!
    General Description:
    The Roscoe Beck Bass is an Artist Signature Series electric bass guitar made by Fender for Texas bass veteran Roscoe Beck. Modeled after a custom-made 6-string bass built for Beck himself by luthier Michael Stevens of Stevens Guitars, this one-of-a-kind design came in 4 and 5-string versions and features a special-design "modern-vintage" select alder body, 3-ply mint green, 3-ply parchment or 4-ply brown tortoise pickguard, an asymmetrical oval shaped 6-bolt graphite-reinforced maple neck featuring rosewood, maple or pao ferro fingerboard with 22 Dunlop 6105 jumbo frets, two special-design side-by-side bass humbuckers, Hipshot UltraLite tuning machines (with a Drop D-tuner for the E string on the 4-string model), Gotoh (5-string) and Fender 4-Saddle Locking Convertible (4-string) strings-through-body/top-load bridges. Controls include a master volume, a master tone with push/pull midrange shaping feature and a 3-way pickup selector with two

Roscoe Beck V (5-String)

BODY: Special Design "Modern-Vintage" Select Alder Body
    COLOURS: 3-Color Sunburst, Candy Apple Red, Shoreline Gold, Teal Green Metallic (Polyurethane Finish)
    NECK: Maple, Asymmetrical Oval Shape (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)
    MACHINE HEADS: Hipshot Ultralite Tuning Machines
    FINGERBOARD: Pao Ferro or Maple (9.5" Radius)
    NO. OF FRETS: 22 Dunlop 6105 Medium Jumbo Frets
    PICKUPS: 2 Special Design Side By Side 5-String Bass Humbuckers
    CONTROLS: Master Volume, Master Tone (with Push/Pull Mid Shaping Feature)
    BRIDGE: Gotoh Bridge (Strings-through-body/top-load)
    PICKUP SWITCHING: 3-Position Blade Pickup Selector Switch:

Roscoe Beck IV (4-String)

BODY: Special Design “Modern-Vintage” Select Alder Body
    COLOURS: 3-Color Sunburst, Lake Placid Blue, Crimson Red Transparent, Honey Burst (Polyurethane Finish)
    NECK: Maple, Asymmetrical Oval Shape (Gloss Polyurethane Finish)
    MACHINE HEADS: Hipshot Ultralite Tuning Machines with Drop-D Tuner on E-String
    FINGERBOARD: Rosewood or Maple, 12” Radius (305 mm)
    NO. OF FRETS: 22 Medium Jumbo Frets
    PICKUPS: 2 Special Design Side By Side Bass Humbuckers
    CONTROLS: Master Volume, Master Tone (with Push/Pull Mid Shaping Feature)
    BRIDGE: Fender 4-Saddle Locking Convertible Bridge
    PICKUP SWITCHING: 3-Position Blade Pickup Selector Switch:

Pau Ferro Was available on the Roscoe Becks, but only on the BR-V, and Rosewood was "Dark Meat" on the RB-IV.:hyper:

I still LOVE mine:bassist::bassist::bassist: