1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FT Feeler (unless I come to my senses): Nordstrand NX5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by dcr, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

First off, I must say -- I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE MY MIND AT ANY TIME!

Okay, so now that that's outta the way... I have up for trade a Nordstrand NX5. Spalted maple top, Northern ash body, FatStacks, Audere, matching covers and knobs. Read all about it on the Norstrand site under the GALLERY section.

Pix (with my thanks to Carey and company):

http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/assets/images/gallery/Len Sitnik/Len_front_full.jpg
    http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/assets/images/gallery/Len Sitnik/Len_headstock_full.jpg
    http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/assets/images/gallery/Len Sitnik/Len_close_front.jpg
    http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/assets/images/gallery/Len Sitnik/Len_close_back.jpg

The only reason -- and I do mean the ONLY REASON -- I'd consider getting rid of this bass is because it's a shade heavier than I like and I'm too old and fat to tote around a 10.5 pound bass all night. It sounds fantastic, looks astounding, and plays like a freaking dream! But I'm really a lot more comfortable with somethin in the the 8-9 pound range.

At this point, I'm only gonna open this bass up FOR 5-STRING TRADES ONLY. Interesting trades must have exotic/super-nice tops and might include: MTD 535-24, Sado 24-5, Jerzy Drozd, custom maker SingleCuts, Roscoe Century/SKB, F Bass, Smith(?), Ritter, Nordy VJ5 + CASH, RBass + CASH, Lakie 55-94 + CASH, Ken Lawrence, Dingwall, or similar....you get the idea. I'll consider all high-end trade offers, as long as they are 5-strings only. I might consider a two-fer for this bass, but they'll have to be super-nice.

Please no Fender, MusicMan, or Warwick trade offers.

Any interest, lemme know!

Thanks!

dcr

2. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    I feel you pain, but oh man that is a sweet looking instrument. :eek:

3. Hey - it has more strings in the second picture! :D

4. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Oops! Fixed:rollno::rollno::rollno:

dcr

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    if you decide on 6 string trade offers, let me know.

6. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
  7. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Afraid I'll have to pass on 6-stringers. Had a great six for a short period of time -- Smith BSR6GN -- but just couldn't deal with the extra string.

Thanks for the interest!

dcr

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Doug, man I understand your reason for wanting to trade the bass but Carey doesn't make these any more. You sure you want to get rid of it?

9. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Yeah, Dan, I am reconsidering. He does list it on his site, but I was curious as to how available they really are.

I unpacked it this a.m. and noticed again that it's not appreciably heavier than my Stammie SC5 and I'd never get rid of the Stammie due to weight. And it's about the same as my MMSR5.

Maybe I just need to find myself another really wide strap.......I can always play it for a set or two then drop back to a lighter bass for the rest of the night. Like my 7.8 pound Nordstrand NJ5.

dcr

10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Leaving work to go to a loooooooong day's gig.

See you guys and gals tomorrow!

dcr

11. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    According to Carey's website he is offering these again but with a slightly more limited palette of options, as opposed to the completely custom approach used previously.

12. that is a sick bass mate..but i am flat broke now. good luck with the sale

13. Budha bass

Budha bass

Feb 19, 2009
    Paris / France
    Hum, interesting bass .... :ninja:

14. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Okay, so I'll bump this one again...with conditions.

Looking for two more-or-less specific basses:

• Pre-Gib Tobias 5. Must be super-clean and prefer Classic or Signature
    • High-end 6'er
    These will form the backbone of a couple different potential three-way trade if I can work it, so it may take a bit to get any details worked out. If I can't make the three-way work, then I'll either keep the bass or look for a different deal in the future. But I've found the bass I want and will pursue it first and foremost.

dcr

15. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Up!

dcr

16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    2 months too late. oh well...

17. kotzman

kotzman Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Santa Fe, NM
    You won't get anything but Nordys from Carey anymore. I waited two years for a custom singlecut and it never got built. Finally settled for a custom top Nordy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.