1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FT (feeler) Warwick LX5 for Gibson TBird or Mesa D-180, more

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Webtroll, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have found myself playing my other basses more and so it's time to consider letting these go for other gear I've been wanting to try but can't afford to outright buy at this time. I'd love to try out a Gibson Thunderbird IV or a Mesa Boogie D-180 in great shape. I'm aware headstock breaks are common with TBirds; as long as it has a good repair that is not a concern. I do like 5 strings so a Studio 5 may be considered, but I haven't decided on that yet. No Epis, Pro or otherwise, thanks. Other items may be considered, but if my mailbox fills up with stuff I don't want I'll back off and reconsider what I'm doing.

Local trade would be best, would love to try out what you are offering and let you try these out.

First up is an LX5 with frets. Wenge/wenge neck, active MEC electronics, and a sweet flame maple body. I was told it had been a NAMM display bass, but I can't verify that. It's a little heavy but balances very well in the lap or on a strap. Currently the case I have for it was originally from a Spector Euro 5 I used to have. The lower frets have a fair amount of wear, but the pics I took of them didn't show the wear (you can't hear the wear but upon inspection it's pretty clear). The highest frets don't ring out as well, so it's possible a dressing or actual fret job is in it's future if you like to play way around up there. I can get the exact frets if you like, but if I recall it's around fret 17+ on the A and D strings; notes play, but if you hold the notes you can tell they're not sustaining.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: Upon review the color looks Photoshopped to hell. This is in a Texas backyard, and there's not much green left to it. Late afternoon and not in direct sunlight. I ran the sharpen filter on a couple of the basses to reduce the fuzziness, but I can't remember if I used it on the Warwicks (compare to the Squier 6 string). The color was not altered.

2. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    LX5 fretless. Older than the fretted LX5, '94 with the original Just-A-Nut (I think). Laminated maple neck, not sure what the other wood is, and I'm guessing the fingerboard is ebony. Like the other LX5 this bass shows signs of wear but is in good shape. The fingerboard does have markings from where roundwound strings were used, but the neck is straight and the action is very, very low. Both of the LX5s were setup by Chuck at Bass Emporium. Active MEC electronics, recessed strap locks (stock?). Warwick hard shell case with a previous owner's name sprayed on it. I am not much of a fretless bass player, but this bass won me over; I was looking for a speaker cab and used this to test it, passed on the cab and took the bass. It looks black in most light, but is actually dark brown. This one I really don't want to get rid of despite hardly ever playing it (doubt I've hit an hour a year since buying it). It's that good.

[​IMG]

3. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    nice, would you consider selling?

4. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    If not, I have a nice green MIJ plexiglass fernandes that would look good on you. :)

5. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Last up (for the moment) is an active Squier 5 string converted to a 6 string based on a thread I stumbled across on the forums a while back. I didn't like these basses because I don't care for wide spacing, but I thought it would make a good 6 string. I supposed it is a good 6 string, but I still don't care for the neck and just can't get comfortable with the high C string. It looks unplayed and is in great shape. The tuners are Hipshot ultra lights and it is not neck heavy at all. I left the decal alone as I have no intention of passing this off as anything but what it is. The work was done by Rob Hacker of the Custom Shop Guitar & Bass. Non original tweed case in excellent condition included. I'm not exactly sure what I want for this one other than I never gelled with it in any way shape or form. If you are local and have an LBS Prosound 1X15 I'd definitely be interested.

[​IMG]

I also have a Prometheus 1X10 combo that I'm not in love with. It works and has volume, but I'm not in love with the sound. If I take my Mesa Pulse 360 and LBS Prosound 1X10 I like the sound much more. Would like a TC Electronics head, or something else.

6. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I haven't thought about prices (much) but suspect I'd get more mileage out of trades than outright sales. The transparent Fernandez isn't really to my liking, to be honest. I've spent a fair amount of time lately with my Les Pauls, Precision, and Tobias 8 string (4 course). If nothing trades it won't be the end of the world.

7. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Already getting messages. Not looking to sell outright, and if I was I have a fairly inflated opinion of their value. Maybe not, but either way I'm only looking for trades at this time on the 2 Warwicks. Also please mention which one you are inquiring about in your messages; I'm not sure which one is "the Warwick." Thanks for your interest tho!

8. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Bumperoony

9. willyrep

willyrep

Mar 4, 2008
    New Orleans
    Man oh man....those two Streamers are pure awesome. Great time period for Warwick as well. Wish I had something you were interested in.

10. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! I may open up to other options at some point, maybe an MM Sabre (depending on weight) but not in a hurry. Prolly taking the fretted LX to play with some guys tonight.

Or an RD providing it's not as heavy as they normally are. No Victory/Grabber/G3 or short/medium scale basses please.

Last time I played the LX5 (a few days ago) it played great and sounded great, so I'm not going to trade down. For the right bass I expect yours to be able to sell in the 800 to 1250+ range. The fretted LX is pretty but both of them have a fair amount of wear, and I'm not asking for top dollar due to the condition of the frets.

Also *may* consider a black Rick 4001, but not looking for a collector piece as the body may get sculpting for comfort, Badass replacement bridge already in place a plus. Left Rick project bass would be cool too.

-------------------------

For the Squier 6 I'd like a Tribute SB-1 in black with a rosewood fingerboard, or a rough US SB-1 with more balance from me (not looking for an expensive one, but I do want a rosewood fingerboard). No SB-2; I have a G&L HB I want to put in the bridge position that's not as wise and the single coil and I want it closer to the split pickup than the single. 8 string Carlo Robelli (sp?) or old Ibanez would be cool too, with HSC preferred.

Other basses also considered for the Squier active 6 as long as they only have 4, 5, 8 or 10 strings. No 6s please! Also with few exceptions no more Jazz basses. Nothing heavy unless it really grabs my interest.

11. Easy8

Easy8

Sep 5, 2007
    Austin, Tx
    I've played all of these basses. They're all extremely nice, but the LX5 fretless is magnificent.:bassist:

12. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    dang ya bumped it, was thinking of pulling the ad. played the fretted one at a jam and it was swanky, but i never use the fretless so it's good trade bait. been digging my SUBs lately tho (and my P, and my 8 string Tobias), and still interested in a G&L SB-1, but the value of that is nowhere near the Warwicks. i dunno, but thanks for the kind werds!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.