1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT/FS: unique Schecter CV-5 5-string J/MM (one of 10 or less)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by stflbn, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    FT: unique Schecter CV-5 5-string J/MM (one of 10 or less)

This is a rare-bird Schecter.

In 2006 they made less than 10 of these basses that used a special retro two-tone Schecterbacker style headstock. In previous years (2004 2005) they used the standard curved maple Schecter Jazz style headstock. Schecter says that between 2004 and 2006 they only produced a handful of these basses as prototypes of sorts for specific markets.

These prototypes had unique sized Duncan Designed pickups in them and Seymour Duncan preamps with mid freq. (slap) switch. When they got an exclusive deal with EMG to use the EMG electronics the CV-5 basses made with the Duncan pickups were discontinued and the EMG stocked C-5's took their place. The same C-5's you would find anywhere today.

This bass has been upgraded to custom Kent Armstrong Jazz and Musicman pickups, as well as an Aguilar OBP-3.

CONSTRUCTION: 6 Bolt-On
    BODY: Alder - Figured Maple
    NECK: Maple with Two-Tone Headstock
    FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
    FRETS: 24 Jumbo
    SCALE: 35"
    INLAYS: Dot
    BRIDGE: Top Load or Thru-body
    TUNERS: Grover
    HARDWARE: Black finish
    PICKUPS: Custom Kent Armstrong Jazz and Musicman pickups (Rail design pickups which IMHO gives better string to string sound consistency)
    ELECTRONICS: Aguilar OBP-3 3-band preamp. Pickups wired with 3-way switch
    BATTERY: 9V compartment on the back.
    FINISH: Figured Black Cherry
    MISC: Dunlop Strap Locks & strung with SIT Silencer Strings

* Basses stock setup was Vol/Blend/Mid 400/800 Switch with B/M/T 3-band.
    ** Basses current setup is Vol/3-way pickup mini-switch/ with B/M/T 3-band. Mids are wired to 400hz, but easy to switch back to a 400/800hz switch or even sweep-able mids via knob. With this setup the second big black knob is currently just a dummy knob (isn't wired to anything). It could be wired for a passive Tone control, or Blend knob as the bass originally was wired.

This bass definitely leans toward being modern sounding. When using the Musicman pickup alone it is very punchy lowmid/mid tone that's very present in a mix. When using the Jazz pickup alone it is full and thick sounding with good low end and nice clarity. When blending both you get a nicely complex bass sound that is somewhere between and combining both. If I am not needing a true Musicman sound or mellower sound I'm almost always in the middle position with both pickups active.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trades:
    Pretty open depending on what comes my way. 5-string Jazz type, 4-string P or P/J, Musicman type, etc.

Personally I've not seen another Schecter identical to this one.

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Can I interest you in a KSD 705 w/Audere preamp?

3. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    It's basicaly a 70's J bass. Good all arounder not just for slappin:) But it does that real well too:) The Audere gives it lots of options. The neck is not chunky at all. It's pretty close to my 55-02.

4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I understand :) But I think those problems are mostly self inflicted. there's absolutely no issues with mine. I wouldn't offer it if there were. ;) good luck with the sale:)

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Now considering 4-string and 5-string basses as trades.

6. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Hmmm... tempting. That is one sweet instrument. Any pics of the entire bass?

7. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Sure do. Never a shortage of photo's...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. What's the string spacing at the bridge?

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    16.5mm string spacing at bridge.

10. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Bump. About to start working on a new original/cover project here in Nashville, so need to either find a trade, trade plus money, multi bass trade or out-right sale...

or just start playing this bass again for this new project.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Man, that's a hot looker!

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Seeing as how I'm in-between bands right now (by choice), this is a good time to make a trade for this unique bass. Or sale...

Time to let it take a ride on evil-bay.

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I am very, very interested in this! I'm in between paychecks at the moment and I just missed catching a Modulus Sweet Spot the other day in a local sale. :/

Anyways, what's your timeframe because I'll probably need another few days until [I feel] I'm safe to spend money. The check should be in the bank Friday. I'm in college so that explains why I'm worried about the money. :p

I have a Schecter Custom-4 in natural with a few dings here and there (probably 4-8 on the whole of the bass, all 1/4" or under on the body) but bass-wise, that's my main player next to an SX P-J. I'm not sure that's what you're after. I also have a Squier VM fretless jazz, but I'm a little more sure that's not what you're after. ;)

Let me know if you think we can make something work!

14. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    PM'd a reply

15. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Potentially on hold for Christw pending a non-refundable down payment to hold it until this Friday, then the bulk of the money.

Closing thread as I think this will go through fine.

16. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    And just for house-keeping purposes...

This is SOLD and payment via Paypal eCheck is awaiting clearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.