Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FT: Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Ancient Mariner, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    I’m looking to trade my 55-02 (purchased new 6 weeks ago). This bass is in excellent condition, no dings or scratches, and comes with a black Lakland hard case.

Unlike most others, I just haven’t been able to bring myself to “love” the sound of this bass. I like something brighter, something which will cut through the mix better, and I’m therefore looking to trade for a G&L USA L2500 in similar condition (first choice). Also high on my interest list would be a Cirrus 5 USA (not the Cirrus BXP), especially the new 34” bolt-on model.

Here’s for a look-see:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222920

Thanks for checking it out!

2. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  3. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Just curious, did you try switching the mid-select in the control cavity to see if that would give you a bit more of the sound you're looking for?
    ---
    Chris

4. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    pm answered. Bass is still on the trading block.

5. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Hi;

Yeah, I did try - awitched it from 500 to 250 .. not sure I gave it enough of a trial, but it still sounded pretty much the same to me.

6. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Bump for all pm's answered!

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Try it at 700 or 800, you'll notice a big difference.
    Could be mistaken, but I believe the HIGHER, the more it's going to cut in the mix. It drastically changes mine.

8. Send the bass to Lakland for a Basslines upgrade.....that will do it.....

9. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Bump for one last shot. If no takers on either the G&L or the Peavey, I'll do what some of you have suggested - save some $ and install new, hotter pup's on this 55-02. Might just be the best course of action.

10. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Before you install new pickups definitely try using boosting using the mid EQ set at the 700 or 850HZ mark. That's where the 'cut' is at. I love my 55-02 :)

11. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR

Glad to hear it.:smug:

12. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Tried that this morning...set the EQ at 700, and found a noticible increase in the cut tone...not quite L2500 territory, but a definite improvement nevertheless! Thanks to all for the tips. As I mentioned, I like everything else about this instrument - it just might remain in my arsenal for a long time with the boost (and possibly new pup) improvements.

Mike

13. Ancient Mariner

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    PM answered!