Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SOLD FT: LeCompte ST-5 (#6) Walnut, Spalted Elm, Ash, Maple, w HSC

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Update: I'M KEEPING IT (see details below)!!

For Trade Only at This Point (unless you REALLY make it worth my while)

As much as this pains me to do, I'm putting my ST-5 up for trade. I'm just think I'm ready for a change (well possibly, if you make it worth my while ;) ). I'm not trading this for junk, so please don't come to me with offers of anything made in Mexico or Asia (no offense). I'm looking for another 5 string and I'm NOT a fan of J pickps, so it needs to have soapbars. I also don't do passive basses. I'm looking for something boutique, 35" scale. Here is a description of my baby:

LeCompte ST-5 electric bass, serial #6.
    Handmade in the USA.
    Features
    • Two piece ash body
    • Walnut top w/ flush inlayed spalted elm faux pickguard
    • Three piece ash and maple neck
    • Dual action truss rod
    • Macassar ebony fingerboard
    • Medium jumbo frets
    • Bone nut, 1 7/8 inches wide
    • Gotoh tuners
    • ABM bridge, 18mm spacing
    • Chrome metal knobs
    • Bartolini 72M55C soapbar pickups
    • Bartolini NTBT 3.3 A/P preamp w/coil splitter switches
    • Treble and bass stacked knob, blend knob , volume knob with passive switch (pull the volume knob for passive)
    • Spalted elm and walnut pickup covers
    • Separate battery box
    • Body finish - hand rubbed catalyzed lacquer
    • Neck finish - satin polyurethane finish
    • 35" scale length

The bass is in AWESOME shape (9.5 out of 10). No buckle rash, etc. I'm really going to nitt-pick here so here it goes. The only marks on it is a slight nick in the walnut (1/8" x 1/16") in between the pickups and there was a little gouge on the inside of the upper horn that has been professionally repaired by local famed luthier John Thurston former owner and master luthier of KT Guitars (made guitars and basses in the 70's and 80's that gave any Alembic a good run for thier money). You really can hardly tell that there was a gouge there unless you REALLY, REALLY look for it and it was not big at all to bgin with (I am just very anal about my basses).

One of the pickup covers has a few light marks on it from when I occasionally use a pick but I had Bud LeCompte make me a new one that I've just been holding (it's never been installed).

Again, I'm REALLY nitt-picking here as the bass is a solid 9.5 out of 10, but make sure that I always disclose all. It plays like a DREAM. Super low action, NO fret buzz, the bart soapbars and pre-amp are amazing. Bud REALLY took his time on this bass and it shows. Yes, it's that nice. As good as ANY boutique bass I've seen or played. I currently have Ken Smith Bass Burners on it (nickle rounds) that seem to suite the bass very well.

The bass has a slightly darker in finish in person. Bud took the first several pics below in high-natural light. The last picture is what the bass looks most like in terms of finish color in most light conditions. More pics and info can be had here --> http://lecomptebass.com/stock/serial6.asp. Comes with a Kaces tolex covered hard shell case in great shape (8 out of 10).

If you don't have good selller/trader feedback here, I'm not going to send you my bass until I get yours (sorry, it's that valuable to me). Shoot me your offers. Again, NO JUNK. Thanks all!!!

2. Quadzilla

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    GORGEOUS BASS!!!!!!!!!!

How about a Modulus Flea bass with a Lane Poor as a trade?

4. Quadzilla

Is is a 5 string?

5. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    No, it's a good ole 4 banger... :meh:

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I love the spalted elm faux "picguard" nice look.

I feel compelled to ask the inevitable why sell such a trade NICE bass? Are you looking for a change?

...I find myself doing this from time to time with my instruments.

7. Quadzilla

Yeah that's exactly it. I love the bass but I just feel like I want to try something else for a while. I'm not going to just jump on another bass. It will have to be something special, like this one.

8. pathdoc2

pathdoc2

Oct 16, 2002
    Allen, TX
    What's the cash price?

9. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yes, inquiring minds want to know. That's the bass that first got me interested in Bud's work. I'd love to own it, but then my Dingwall might get sad... :crying:

10. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Completely understandable, good luck with your search.

11. Quadzilla

PM sent (but still prefer a trade). :smug:

12. wow that is a niiiiiiiice bass, wish i could afford it or have something you wanted to trade for.

bump.

13. Quadzilla

To the top!

14. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    DON'T DO IT ...YOU'LL REGRET IT LATER

Just my 2 cents

15. Quadzilla

You are probably right. I'm not giving up this bass for just any ordinary bass that I can pickup anywhere. If the right bass comes along, great. If not, I'm pretty damn happy. My problem is that I'm a gear whore with a low budget, so I usually have to sell something to get something else. I should be happy and content with the LeCompte as it's an AWESOME bass and very unique. So only time will tell...

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Quad, good luck on selling this bass.

It's a goregous bass, definately one of Bud's finest IMHO.

Good luck!

Bump!

-Mark

17. Quadzilla

OK, I talked to Bud LeCompte. The main reason I was considering trading it was because of the unique neck profile. Bud has offered to update my neck to the new profile (more rounded). Looks like I'll be keeping her now!!!!

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love when people rediscover their love. Now, you 2 should make sweet love by the fire! :bag:

19. You've made the right call, Quad!

20. Quadzilla

Thanks guys for talking some sense into me! I've always loved EVERY aspect of this bass except for the neck profile and now that is getting resolved so I'm a happy camper now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.