1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD FT: Mesa 400+ feeler

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by rpsands, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm thinking I might want a bit beefier solid state amp. I've got a mesa 400+, good shape, moderate wear tubes, 12au7 mod for more headroom. It's older with the attached power cord but does have the 7 band eq.

I've had it a few months, procured from a fellow TBer who took great care of it.

I'm looking at possibly:
    GBE 1200
    GBE 750 + cash
    Mesa Titan V12
    Possibly a Fender 800 + some cash, mebe
    An Iamp 800 + a few bones

I'm open, I just want something with solid tone shaping options, lots of volume.

Opening the door to shipping on this bad boy. I'll cover it for the right deal. Let me know what you've got!

Updating to explain a minor defect -- I'd forgotten to post this originally but remembered when I was chatting with someone about the amp. The previous owner of this and myself both used monster cables, and as such the #1 input jack is very slightly stretched out. With other brands' cables you need to loop the cable firmly around the rack ears to get it to stay in place without losing contact occasionally. I have *never* had the input jack crackle the least bit with the monster cable. I'll throw my cable in with the amp for anyone who isn't a monster user, just in case, or toss you 20 bucks to get a new input jack put in. Your call. .

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    To ze top! Opening this up for shipping anywhere in the continental US.

3. daveonbass

daveonbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Once I got my Mesa 400+ every other amp in my arsenal just stays at home, including an Ampeg SVT Classic & GK2000RB... They're just practice amps now :D

I'd make you an offer if I didn't already own one. Watch the tubes when you ship it, they gotta be secure or they'll pop out & break :eek:

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    PM'ed

5. drobinsn

drobinsn

Feb 15, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    PM sent

6. BassDepot

BassDepot

Apr 17, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Bass Guitars
    iAMP800 with rack ears plus...$?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    USA 6Pro in a RoadRunner rack case? (yeah, I'm not sure, either)

8. peteybass

peteybass

Feb 26, 2008
    Roseville, CA
    PM Sent

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I will individually wrap the tubes in bubble wrap and shrinkwrap and put them in the body of the amp, just like I got it. Best way to ship them imho, short of shipping the tubes separately (not happening unless you're buying the second box :).

Yeah, I love the Mesa to be honest, and I may regret gettin rid of it, but I need more low B :)

10. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is a definite possibility. Drop me a PM and we'll chat. There're about three other deals on the burner at this point but no one's said yes with a number, so it's still open. You're actually first in line from the looks of things.

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Maybe, if none of the lighter deals pan out. Drop me a PM so I've got you saved. I haven't played Ampeg in a while so I'd need to go try one out and see if it fits me more now than it did then y'know? Thanks for the hit.

12. daveonbass

daveonbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland
    Really? I haven't played through anything that handles the B better... I play 5 strings exclusively for live shows...

:confused:

13. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would say it does the low B better than most amps out there - as well as 500-600 watts of solid state head. It gets a little mushy though in the super low B. Listen to me bagging on an amp I'm trying to sell -- I just have found I prefer the super snappy high fi low end of big solid state amps.

As a side note, I've been shlepping stuff all over for auditions/practice and it does get a bit tiresome even with the Neopak, so I don't think I'm constitutionally up to gigging with the Mesa. Beats the **** out of an SVT though.

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    On hold, trade pending/complete tomorrow :) Thanks everybody.

15. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is gone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.