Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FT: MTD Kingston Fretless 4-string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by tonedeaf, Oct 4, 2005.

1. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I am interested in trade offers for a MTD Kingston Fretless 4-string. All original, including strings. Black, lined ebanol fingerboard. Slight but noticeable string wear from the stock roundwound strings, nothing affecting playability. Ebanol stands up very well to roundwound strings, and MTD ships this bass with rounds.

Front and back of the bass
    [​IMG]

Front and back of the headstock (including original store price sticker)
    [​IMG]

Closeups of fingerboard wear. If you close your eyes and run your fingers over the board, you can't even feel it, and it's almost unnoticeable visually with strings on. I took the strings off for this pic in the interests of full disclosure.
    [​IMG]

Next to a Jazz Bass and Agile acoustic for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

I have had a long and winding relationship with this bass. I bought it from a TBer, played it for a while, traded it to another one, who then sold it to yet somebody else. I tracked it down and bought it back a few months ago, and have been playing it regularly. It looks great, sounds great, and plays great. I like it a lot, but I just can't quite get used to the smallness/lightness of it. I know this should be a plus, but for some reason I feel more comfortable with more traditional, bigger-bodied basses.

This bass has a much hotter output than my other two basses (Fender Jazz and Ibanez ATK 300), and killer tone - very full, punchy, and meaty, for lack of better descriptive terms. I have played it with both the stock MTD roundwounds and Fender flatwounds. The roundwounds produce a very articulate, intense sound, with plenty of mwah. When I have played it in an aggressive rock setting with rounds, the strings vibrating on the neck produce an almost overdriven sound. With flats, there's still mwah for days, just mellower overall. The tapered neck (thicker toward the E string side, thinner toward the G string side) is awesome - one of my favorite things about this bass.

I am looking for trade offers on basses of similar value, fretted or fretless. I'd take a serious look at a fretted P-Bass in good condition, and I would be especially interested in a Yamaha BBN4F on the fretless side.

Anybody interested?

2. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hey, interested in cash?

3. tonedeaf

Not right now, Limo. I want to see what kind of trade possibilities are out there first.

4. tonedeaf

Bump. . . added pics. Anyone want a quality fretless and have an unplayed bass waiting for a good home? I'll take a look at anything.

5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

6. tonedeaf

I've had a couple of interesting offers, but no firm deals yet. Anybody else have a trade to offer?

7. tonedeaf

One more time. . . bump

8. motorhall

motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    PM sent.

9. tonedeaf

Three interesting offers so far, one strong possibility, but no firm deals yet. Anybody else want to give it a shot? Go ahead, offer me anything. Turns out there's a lot of interesting basses I had never considered until someone offered them to me.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    PM sent

11. tonedeaf

All PMs replied. Couple of interesting conversations going on. . .

12. tonedeaf

Traded with Figjam - thanks fig!