1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FT - Schack Carbon 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Greyfin10, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfin10

Greyfin10 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I love carbon fiber necks.
    I love headless basses.
    I saw that this was a fretless and thought "I could learn to be a fretless player... I mean the last three times I tried and gave up were just a fluke right?"

Wrong. In fact, this is the worst time for me to be playing around with losing my frets, as I've been singing a lot more lately in the band, and I just can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time. Walking itself has been iffy at times.

As a result, even though this is a very nice bass, I need to magically turn it into something fretted and with five strings. Obviously preference would be given to something of a similar quality level, but while I have preferences, they are only that (only hard rules are five strings and frets). I would love to trade, so shoot me what you have. Otherwise, let's say a sale price of $1350?

Here's the general specifications as I've been able to discern them:

Make: Schack
    Model: Carbon 5 Custom
    Scale: 36"
    Bridge Spacing: 19mm
    Weight: 9lbs 7oz (digital fish scale measured)
    Neck: Carbon Fiber, Neckthrough
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Body: Pernambuco
    Hardware: Brass
    Electronics: 18 volt, three band, parametric eq (all three bands)
    Overall Length: Just under 40"!

Links to the last two sale/trades for this item (additional information perhaps):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ft-german-botique-fretless-carbon-fiber-5-neckthrough-headless-843640/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-ft-schack-carbon-unlined-fretless-5-a-601599/

So, anyway, to my pictures! These are progressive Jpgs, so you may have to wait for them to load completely (if it looks fuzzy, it's not done loading). I have still larger versions of each on my hard-drive, but I cut these down because my internet connection was choking on them. If you would like a particular picture larger, OR a picture of something I didn't take, just let me know.
    Click for larger images...

[​IMG]
    Did I mention this is NECK THROUGH Carbon Fiber?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ok, so maybe not everyone loves the look of a neck-through CF as much as I do... let's move on.

[​IMG]
    Front shot, close.

[​IMG]
    Full frontal...

[​IMG]
    Looks comfortable in there...

[​IMG]
    Not sure why I shot a second "in case" photo, but here it is!

[​IMG]
    Case is solid if beat up a bit. Someone helpfully wrote the model on the case in silver Sharpy...

[​IMG]
    First "issue"... the battery cover isn't original, and is in fact a piece of black plastic that, while it holds the battery in fine, isn't quite up to snuff if you look closely.

[​IMG]
    Someone must have been wearing their diamond encrusted Kiss Army belt buckle here... they are hidden on the back and all, but I've never seen buckle rash like this. (Check previous trade thread for perhaps a clearer pic of the scratches here).

2. I'm glad it's not fretted, else i'd be selling my kidney right now...

3. Very nice. 36" scale?? Here is an "I wish I had bigger hands" bump! This thing is just so cool.

4. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    why 36! damm... will be jump if was 34.

5. Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    As to why 36", I can't say. I never felt like I was reaching on it, so I'm not sure the scale is as much an issue as it seems, but I can understand the hesitation.

I had a question about the radius of the fingerboard, so I'm adding a close-up to hopefully clarify. Hope that helps!

[​IMG]

6. I wish my fretless action was that low...

7. modulusan

modulusan

Sep 8, 2006
    looks really flat....:p

8. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I am not sure if I am glad this is fretless or disappointed...

I do not play fretless (never learned). If this was fretted, I would be doing backflips up my stairs to get my wallet

I absolutely love the carbon fiber and that it is headless

9. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    This is bodacious. If I hadn't just bought a Zon, I'd be all over this one!

10. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    These are very Zon-like, i bought one when i was stationed in germany about 5 years ago, they play like butter!

11. This is an amazing bass, the bridge puck up is killer, great jazz++ tone.

12. Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Monday morning bump

13. Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    I've decided to send this off and get it re-fretted. It should be monstrous and a pretty good fit for me once that's done ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.