1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FT: Ultra-Rare & Very Nice Bossa OBT-4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

NO LONGER FT (I'm keeping her)! After the last two gigs, it became obvious to me that even though I'm not crazy about how she looks (but she's growing on me), the tone is to die for and she must stay in the stable! On top of that, my soundman told me that he would kill me if I got rid of her! ;)

I have what some consider to be the ultimate Jazz bass. It's a Bossa OBT-4 (4 string with the tremelo option!!!). She has a Bossa 18v, 3 band preamp, Bossa pickups with custom two-piece wood covers. Neck is jazz size (1.5" nut) and VERY fast. This bass covers 3+ octaves (25 frets)!

Most in the USA don't know what these are, but Bossa is well known in Europe and Japan and they are VERY expensive. If feels and sounds very much like an F bass (I used to own one). This one would go for close to $3000 now if bought new. It's very light, has CRAZY low action, has the most killer slap tone around. It's certainly one the most well crafted basses I've ever laid my hands on (it's right up there with Fodera, Sadowsky, F Bass, etc).

More info on Bossa:
    USA Distributor site:
    Bossa USA: Home Of Bossa Bass and Guitars

Home site (Toshio Setozaki's site in Japan):
    ¡Real Bossa Design¡

This will give you an idea of the tone:

Slap:
    Real Bossa Design UJB-5 and vdrum TD12 - YouTube

Finger style:
    Duran Duran - The Reflex - bass lesson - YouTube

She's in great shape overall. A few very minor dings, chips, but nothing major at all. One thing to note, I was not given the tremelo bar when I bought the bass. I contacted the builder (Master Luthier Toshio Setozaki) and he does have extra trem levers for sale if you want to buy one from him (I can send you his contact info). The bridge is VERY stable and it stays in tune as good as any bass I've owned.

If interested, shoot me a trade offer. I really dig the Bossa and it's an amazing instrument, but I'm more of a traditional guy and like Fender, and Musicman basses. Vintage instruments are a plus with me.

20111221_204653.

20111221_204644.

20111221_204630.

20111221_204616.

20111221_204733.

20111221_204713.

20111221_204724.

20111221_204653.

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    funny I think of that 25th fret every time I hear about a Bossa being up for sale.

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

NO LONGER FT (I'm keeping her)! After the last two gigs, it became obvious to me that even though I'm not crazy about how she looks (but she's growing on me), the tone is to die for and she must stay in the stable! On top of that, my soundman told me that he would kill me if I got rid of her! ;)

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    words to live by, never piss off soundmen and waiters.

5. slapmachine

slapmachine

Oct 4, 2010
    PV, Kansas
    I'm so glad you kept her. I'm sure you'd have regretted it in the future anyway!