1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FT - Warwick 6's

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by beadgc23, Apr 20, 2006.

1. It's time to go in a new direction! I have two Warwick 6 strings which aren't getting used as they should thanks to my current love affair with Stingrays. So...

1) Warwick Corvette Fretted 6. 1998 with a slim wenge neck/fingerboard, SD soapbars and a MEC preamp. This bass is in great shape, regularly waxed and completely free of any nasties. It sounds clear, present and defined, has bags of the traditional 'wick Growl and records like a dream. The B is excellent, 34" scale regardless. I have an unreasonable attachment to this bass but every time I pick it up I play like 5 years ago. My problem, not the bass. Yes it's heavy but I've played several 3 hour gigs with it and I'm no athlete! Some neck dive, but not as much as you'd expect from a Warwick 6.

2) Warwick Thumb Neck-Thru Fretless 6, '90. This is one fabulous but idiosyncratic bass - let me try to explain. It was originally fretted but has had a classy defretting job - maple inlay in the fret slots, bone nut cut to the proper height. It has a unique neck imho - I've never seen a Warwick with an asymetric (thicker on the bass side) neck, and it's unbelievably slim and fast. Exactly the opposite of a new 'wick, in fact. (grin) Bartolini soapbars and - a John East U-retro preamp, replacing some unidentified and unremarkable preamp. If you've ever used one of these, you know how excellent they are. The barts are coil-tapped and go front coils/series/back coils for a huge range of sounds. The basic sound of the bass is very "dark" and woody although there's plenty of mwahh there - with TI flats (included) it'll cover many of your upright needs. It's very dynamic, unusually so, and needs a lot of control when playing. The B is (hand on heart) one of the best 34" fretless B's I've ever played, all of the fundamental is there and no rattle whatsoever on the lower positions.

It has a few dings, mainly around the jack socket, but then it is 16 years old. The C string needs excellent intonation - better than mine, i suspect - and yes, it's a heavy bass, though it doesn't neck dive. The veneers by the bridge are parting *slightly* but this is not structural - Norio Imai, Sadowskys ex repair guy has been over this bass and pronounces it 100% AOK.

I'll post pix later for both basses but I'll be happy to provide any information you need to serious enquiries. The Thumb, especially, is a very rare and wonderful bass and I'd prefer it went to someone who'll treat it as such.

I'm looking for - something different with 5 strings at a similar level. Equally interested in fretted and fretless basses, cash is also a possibility. I'd also be interested in a Thunderfunk or iAmp.

P.S. - here's a quick pic or three until I get home tonight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44268507@N00/sets/72057594112324816/
    Thanks!

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    im interested in both. How much cash are you lookin for each bass??

3. PM sent

4. Sherwood

Sherwood

Mar 17, 2006
    Beijing, PRC
    PM sent regarding Corvette (though that Thumb is beautiful too).

5. Bump

6. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    PM Sent

7. bump...no-one?

8. email sent.

9. willing to trade for cirrus flame maple 5? for the thumb?

10. giovabass

giovabass

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are you still selling/trading the fretless Thumb 6? If yes can you tell me the price... or, i have this beautiful 5 string to trade, it is a custom bass from a master italian liuther (www.mbbass.com), ask me for detailed specs:

IMGP0116_2.
    IMGP0122.

11. DADDYBASS1

DADDYBASS1

Jun 11, 2006
    PHX
    The Corvette 6 are a favorite of mine to the top you go.