1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FT: Wendler Electrocoustic Fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Chef, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    FOR TRADE:

I've had this for a while now, and love it, but, you know how it is;)
    Not looking for any trade in particular and am willing to trade up or down if you have something that's interesting to me. I have no idea what that might be...an RA Mouse would be interesting.

Retail value to replace this piece is ~$1500.

Wendler is a small one man shop based in KC MO, run by Dave Wendler who used to work at Peavey in the 80's as a quality control and process engineer, and then branched out on his own. His guitars and the MagPi pickup system are pretty well known in guitar world; less so in bass world... Some general info:
    Their website:
    http://www.electrocoustic.com/
    Some more info:
    http://www.wholenote.com/u17139--Dave-Wendler

General info on the how's and why's of Wendler:
    http://www.electrocoustic.com/instruments.html

This bass is a very well made piece; ultra light and very resonant, plays out killer with the action slammed and has great fretless growl. Custom body shape, beautiful satin finish; Jazz width neck.
    The MagPi system incorporates both magnetic and piezo pickup elements, which are blend-able for tones ranging from "fretless Precision-ish" to "double-bass-ish." Very nice.

More info on the MagPi system:
    http://www.electrocoustic.com/magpi.html

Currently strung with Thomastic Jazz flats, which really do sound great on it, play nice and easy, and have excellent dynamic response.

Comes with a very choice, well padded, form-fitting Levi's gig bag.

Pics:
    wendlerfull.
    wendlerbody.
    wendlerheadstock.
    wendlerrear.
    wendlertailandmagpi.
    wendlerheadstock.
    wendlermagpisystem.

2. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    bump!

3. Kevin W Guin

Kevin W Guin Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    Smitten with this thing in 5 minutes!

Here is the link to a cat who uses an electrocoustic for his jazz gig. Really really sounds great:

http://www.electrocoustic.com/audio/BrianG.mp3

That cut reminds me of Dexter Gordon's record Clubhouse.

I am up to my ears in piezos right now, but bump for a great sounding axe.

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Thanks for the link!

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    pm's replied!

6. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    damn!

7. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    The Acoustic Guitar mag which arrived today has a profile of Dave Wendler. Should be findable on the web.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It's here:
    http://www.acguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=25235

thanks!

partial quote follows; kinda biased towards his guitar line, but, informative.:
    "Searching for An Acoustic-Sounding Electric Guitar

A guitarist since childhood, Wendler was doing setups and repair work by the time he was in high school. After graduation, he went to work for a local luthier, continuing to learn more about guitars and pickup design and eventually becoming chief quality control engineer at Peavey from 1996 to 1999. For much of this time, he also played acoustic and electric guitar in a country band. Wendler says these years of roadhouse gigs made him yearn to combine his acoustic guitar’s rich tone with the fatter-sounding high-end of a typical electric guitar.

Wendler worked on the problem for many years, finally developing his proprietary MagPi pickup system—which combines a magnetic and a piezo pickup—in 1999 and building the first electroCoustics a year later. The dual pickup system allows the player to blend the sounds of the two very different-sounding units to achieve a wide range of acoustic and electric tones and textures. Wendler says, “The idea is to let the tone be what it is, a hybrid sound that has the responsiveness of a good acoustic guitar but blends that with the tonal advantages of the electric: louder, more penetrating, but still with the acoustic quality.”
    Resonant Construction

The solid bodies of Wendler’s instruments are router-carved from lightweight, highly resonant Western red cedar. Surprisingly, the bodies are only about 5/8 inches in thickness under the bridge. Wendler likens them to the carved top of a jazz guitar without the back and sides. “Red cedar really helps to mellow the piezo sizzle,” he says. “I tried the other tonewoods and was convinced that red cedar had the sweeter, mellower tone, better attack transient, and richer harmonics.”

Wendler uses pau ferro for fretboards, tailpieces, and peghead inlays and hand carves each neck from rock maple or, on request, mahogany to the player’s exact specification, offering a choice of scale length, nut width, and neck depth. “I’ve carved about 150 necks and have probably recarved only two, so I can get pretty close to what the customer wants,” he says.

Dual Pickups

Electronically, one of the unique aspects of the electroCoustic is the way Wendler has designed the bridge-mounted pickup. The guitars have a one-inch-tall archtop-style bridge made from quarter-sawn maple (combined with a tailpiece to hold the strings), into which he sandwiches a piezo disc. The reasoning behind the bridge design is twofold, he says. “First, being sandwiched into the maple bridge allows the piezo to have the same resonant characteristics of the bridge itself. Second, it allows as much signal generation from the body as directly from the strings.” He adds, “Piezos have a huge dynamic range that you have to damp down a little bit to get an even response during the attack transient. When you hit the string, the piezo wants to let all the high frequencies come through before it lets the bass frequencies come through. So the magnetic pickup in combination with the piezo slows that down so you get a nice even attack transient. That gives you a natural feel and response very similar to the way an acoustic guitar responds under your hand.”

For the magnetic portion of his guitar’s electronics, Wendler typically installs a Kent Armstrong HJGS6 humbucker in the neck position, but he can substitute a wide range of single-coil or humbucking pickups, depending on the player’s requirements. He describes the electroCoustic as suitable for many kinds of music, from jazz to singer-songwriter material, and feels the instruments are equally versatile for fingerpicking or flatpicking. “You can get a very nice acoustic archtop tone out of the guitar but also real bright, stringy tones if you lean more to swing or Gypsy jazz, and you can do it at ungodly gain levels.”

9. bassinstincts

bassinstincts Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Acoustic Image
    You're welcome, Since it is not in my interest to hip other people to a bass in which I have an interest, I have kicked myself several times. Sometimes my better side gets ahead of me.

10. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Nice to see Dave getting some attention...he deserves it.

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    pm replied-thx

12. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Here's a five string in context...this one is played by Landy Ewing, a world class tour bassist....

I sponosored a jam at Jardine's Jazz Club here in KC last Monday; both the guitar and bass are my designs.

http://www.electrocoustic.com/new tunes/24.mp3

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Very nice!
    Thanks for posting that...

14. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    these basses are amazing...esp if you are looking for lightweight.

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    yessir; it superlight at just under 6 pounds:eek:

16. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Love the elegant design and the tone of the clips, free bump :)

17. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Dumb question..

Is this intended to be on a pin or strap.. meaning guitar or EUB?

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    On a strap; the two buttons can be seen if you look close;)
    one on the bottom; and one by the neck mount joint on the back!

thx-alan

19. Guitar style strap. Considering the sound you have been after lately, this bass has your name all over it. Has a great upright bass sound, as I have been interested in these for a while. Though I prefer the other body style, this would sound great for you. IMHO:D

20. PM'd