Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FUBAR Peavey 400BH Mark III, please help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I bought a Peavey 400BH Mark III from 1978 today. I plugged it into my cab (2x15 600W 4 Ohms) and tried playing, it was quiet but really distorted, I tried the bass in the other channel, the same thing happened but it was a lot quieter. I tried plugging the cabinet into the other output and the same thing happened. I switched the amp off and back on again and it made the loudest noise ever. It was a really loud and low hum but the kind that actually made my trousers billow in the wind from the ports. It does this even when the bass isn't plugged in and does it on another cabinet as well. At the time that the hum started a wisp of smoke came out from the top of the amp as well.

What have I done to it? Is it something that can easily be fixed? How much will it cost to repair it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [butthead]

Cool!

[/butthead]

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Tom,

Those units were unbelievably stout. I would be surprised if it's anything major. Very straightforward design, should be cheap to fix.

Kim

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I hope so...

Cheers for the help.

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I can buy the output transistor scenario, but doubt the PS has gone belly up. TO3s are cheap. I have nearly 30 years dealing with a large variety of Peavey amps many times under adverse conditions and I can assure you that they ARE reliable.

The 400BH module is conventional in design and does not use proprietary parts. All parts will be available. You will NOT need to rebuild the entire amp. But PB's advice about holding the line, pricewise, is good. If you don't have a lot of money in it (you shouldn't), your decision to repair/replace should be based on your tech's hourly bench fee. If it's reasonable, go for it as the parts we're talking about are cheap. If not, save your bucks and get a newer unit.

Kim