1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuchs Bruiser

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowend1, May 20, 2011.

1. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    Even though I am primarily a bass player, I have owned virtually every amp that Andy has put into production with the exception of the Mantis (metal). I also worked for Andy for a number of years so I'm a bit biased but I like to think I'm one of the "many bass players who asked for a bass amp that reflected the same commitment to tone that our guitar amps have."

I've been waiting since about 2001 (or 2002 ... my memory is shot) for this amp to go into production. Of course, now that it's a reality, I can't afford it! 8-(

You guys should also check out Andy's bass pedal, Jersey Thunder. I'm waiting for one of those to show up one day ... soon, I hope.

2. you have to keep in mind it's pretty hard to pick up on 1%THD and at the volumes where its up to 10% you'll have a hard time noticing aswell.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    A good friend and monster guitarist uses Fuchs. Great tone!

You know that's not the reason for the duct tape.

4. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Punks don't want to "sell" anything for anyone so they don't wear or have badges......although they will wear tshirts for other bands and such so it's never quite that punk.....;)

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I know and the punk in them might like the name.....yet it causes consternation at shall I say, "finer" venues. Even one step up and someone is saying something about it.:/

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's true. And in any event, the TI datasheet provides both 1% and 10% THD ratings. The 1% THD rating tells the engineer what to expect, because it is related to the maximum voltage that the chip can deliver. For those TI chips, the maximum output amplitude is very nearly equal to the power supply voltage, which is impressive.

The other useful thing to note is that with a tube front end, the transients that would otherwise drive the power amp into hard clipping have already been moderated by the preamp section.

7. FUCHSAUDIO

FUCHSAUDIO Commercial User

Mar 13, 2010
    New Jersey
    Co-owner: Fuchs Audio Technology LLC
    I explored all-tube bass amp designs, and decided that if an all tube amp happened, it would have to be in the future. I considered (and have not ruled out) a 150 watt all tube bass amp based on our Clean Machine platform, which is 4 x 6550's.

You obviously place a ton of importance on "all tube", which is fine and I respect, but I think you need to keep a more open mind :cool:. I would never say never, but I'm not sure I could get anything more from an all tube design that I cannot get from a well designed hybrid. Thats not the case with overdriven guitar amps at present, but I do feel it is for bass amps.

I researched lots of approaches for a bass amp design. All tube, solid state and hybrid. After a ton of research, I came away very impressed by the performance and sound of this new TI power amp design. When I mated it with this preamp felt it did pretty much anything I would want in a bass amp. It held it's own at Jorg's recent bass summit against some heavy hitters, so I'm happy I achieved my design objectives for weight, tone, and clarity. I've gigged it a few times in club and outdoor environments (either as the player or in a band where the bassist used this while I played guitar or observed and listened), and am pleased with The Bruiser.

If you want or need a "kitchen sink approach" there are tons of amps from lots of people with paragraphic EQ's, compressors, overdrives, aural enhancers and the like. My feeling is; if you need that much stuff to get a good tone, this won't be the amp for you. If you need the headaches of tube replacement and weight to feel you have "the best" bass tone possible, so be it...

FWIW: During the design process, I used a vintage 65' Hofner Club, an Alembic, a Fender P and a Fender J, various Music Mans, G&L's, and a few people brought other basses to the shop for tone tasting.

In addition to our manufacturing amps and pedals, we also operate a very busy service and repair shop. We do service for Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and walk-ins. That gives us the luxury of regular opportunities to see and hear lots of different new and vintage guitar and bass amps. I've serviced both new and old SVT's, rare Trace Elliott all tube bass amps, GK's, Mesa, Getz-Benz etc. It's given me the luxury of comparing our guitar and bass amps against a good cross section of what's out there. Lets say I am comfortable with our products, and rest easy when a design is complete. I look forward to getting some reviews and getting these guys on the concert stages over the coming year.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I can see it. I'm using a Kern, which is a high voltage 3 tube preamp with a high power solid state amp and I certainly think it sounds as ideally 'tube' while retaining the advantages of clean big power and light weight technology on the power amp side.

Owning and having played a number of bass and guitar tube amps, this setup seems to produce everything that I've come to expect from 'tube tone'.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Either that or the player has an endorsement deal with another maker.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    that was my first thought...

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    The full power at 2 ohms kills it from consideration for me. It's almost as if you're stuck with the head and two cab combination since most other heads don't go to 2 ohms. Full power at 4 ohms and a useable 2 ohm capability would be more useful, IMHO. Then again, I'm probably not the targeted audience.

12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    those cabs have a TON of mids, so that was partially what you were hearing I'm sure. But a great looking head, in addition to being very interesting in other respects. I hope they get some wider distribution up here so we can check them out.

So about 350 watts or so at 4 ohms, is that it?

Cheers,
    Cameron

13. I don't think us tube aficionados are asking for a kitchen sink of features. Though I guess mentioning Mesa kind of invokes that. I just find that for my tonal goals all tube heads get me there more easily. I think also that there are expectations when amp companies that are known for awesome high gain tubed guitar amps announce bass heads. A lot of us bass players that prefer overdriven amps rejoice and say "finally"! Hoping for a channel switching all tube head with overdrive. Basically like using a guitar head but with bottom end. Then it turns out they are hybrid or half tube and our hope fades to dissapointment.

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1!

Any pics of the back of the amp?

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    the name is pronounced "Fooks"...yeah, RIGHT! How come whenever a name has a rather unfortunate pronunciation, they ALWAYS change it from what it really is...?

Bruce Co--burn...yeah, it's Co, alright...

And so this is a 'Fooks Broyzer'....:eek:

Nahhh....they should leave it how it's spelled...

:smug:

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Actually, it would be pronounced Feooks.

17. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Whats up Andy?

Nice Bass head. Love the front grill.

Is that grill going to be used in production?

Laser cut or water jet?

Very interesting build.

18. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Subscribed.

19. FUCHSAUDIO

FUCHSAUDIO Commercial User

Mar 13, 2010
    New Jersey
    Co-owner: Fuchs Audio Technology LLC
    Hey Red: Water Jet my new favorite toy..... :bassist:

And yes, it will be on production Bruisers and maybe eventually on other stuff too. Main reason was so there was no mistaking it for anything else we make at a distance.

20. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I bow to your superior toolset.
    I have but a lowly plasma torch. Not even cad driven.