Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fudge and the certain f word!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bassist_Ben, Oct 30, 2005.

1. At the battle of bands i recentaly went in i played Longview and i said instead of f'n lazy i said fudgin and everyone laughed. was that ok? because it like non swearing contest lol!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What did you say when the line "When masturbation's lost its fun..."?

3. When ummm...you know ....lost it's fun :D

4. No, that is not OK. Green Day could potentially sue you for changing their lyrics without legal permission. You should send them a notarized letter ASAP, apologizing for your actions, and signed by an attorney (if you don't have one, get one immediately). Hopefully you do not open yourself up to any further liabilities.

5. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    waitaminnit...as much as this is the technically proper thing to do, don't you think that by doing this, it could be like saying 'teacher, you forgot to give us homework', thereby guaranteeing that some feces will trickle down?

don't ask for attention, and chances are you won't get any...after all, they aren't disney...;)

(the preceding post is purely opinion, and does not necessarily express the opinion of talkbass.com inc and its subsidiaries; neither does it condone or encourage pulling the tail of legal vultures, spitting into the wind, wiping with sandpaper or masturbating with hot sauce. ymmv.)

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    HAHAHAHAHAH! Funniest post ever!

7. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005

You guys think he is joking?

My friend is a nature conservasionist, and made a video to petition the destruction of some wildlife preserve, and put "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" as background, and was forced to pay $10,000 for using the song w/o permission.
    And he spent several grand just filming and editing, plus time and effort to get nothing out of it personally (besides feeling good) only to be forced to pay for it.
    I'd watch your back.

By the way, two things for ya:
    One- Why did you pick that song in a "no swearing" thing. That song is so full of F this and all.
    And two- I just wanna say I'm impressed that you can sing the verses and play at the same time. That song took me a while to get that down.

8. But people this is only a little SCHOOL BATTLE OF THE BANDS, nothing big and i live in AUSTRALIA! i am going to see them anyway:D HHEHE

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    For someone to be sued, there has to be damages. Green Day is not going to go after some local band that does "Longview" and changes one word. There are no damages there. If they put it out on an album, then they absolutely have to pay. But some little battle of the bands isn't going to cause them to sue.

Your friend, however, made a video and used a song without permission. Licensing a song for a commercially distributed video, whether or not it's for profit, IS damages. Your friend needed to acquire a license for its use and failed to. I'm surprised Green Day's management settled for $10,000. it could have been much worse, and the only thing that saved him was using it for a non-profit usage. Use it in a video that's being sold and you could count on at least one more zero being added.