Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Fugue"

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bearclaw, Dec 3, 2000.

1. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    Hi Steve,

I have two questions for you. First off, I'm preparing to "shred like a demon" and tackle Classical compostions. Are there any online sites that carry classical music for bass clef? In particular JS Bach fugues?

Second, are you familiar with the "Audition Process" for Broadway Musicals such as RENT? It might be different in England than it is here in America. Silly question I know, but I'm looking to procure work in the New York City area.

Thanks and by the way, Nick B. is performing in Holland with IONA. Cheers,
    Joe B.

2. Are you planning to overdub the parts, or what? I suggest you start with The Cello Suites, or else Zimmerman Publications has a Book, The Selected works of Bach, with some very nice pedal fugues in it, or the Bunny Brunel Book, Bach for Bass is not bad.As for Audition process, you better get into the Musician's Union, as Broadway Musicals are Union gigs, and you probably won't even hear about auditions except in the trade papers.Good Luck!

3. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    For all your classical bass needs, goto http://www.lemur-music.com
    they have EVERYTHING there. As far as I know, there has never been a published piece worth mentioning that was actually a fugue written specifically for bass. You'll just have to transpose some of Bach's fugues for violin. As reedo said, the Bach cello suites are great for bass, and if you are a 6-stringer you can play them straight from the book. The Bach for electric Bass book is by Des Pres, and it's OK. (I don't agree with his transcriptions... how cheeky of me)

Good luck!

4. I should have mentioned that was where I got all my stuff.
    I don't agree with the Des Pres transcriptions either, but
    it's at least a choice. I would rather form my own transcriptions from the original works, but I don't think anyone would buy the book unless I was famous! ;)

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    All the rearranged classical stuff that I've seen for electric bass has not been great - I'm not a huge fan on the DuPres books - it seems to me to be a more valuable musical lesson to get the 'proper' versions and work on your own arrangements. My two favourite classical texts are the Bach Cello Suites, and the Bach 2-part inventions, which are great for duets with any treble clef instrument.

Also worth checking out is any classical trombone stuff you can find - often there are some figures in those that are really tricky to work out on bass... :oops:)

I'm not sure what the process is in the US. In the UK, it's nearly all word of mouth - if you know someone on a gig and they like the way you play, you can sit in the pit and see the show, record it to play along with, get a copy of the bass chart and go home and learn it! You've got to be a great reader (you can't 'learn it' from memory, it's all reading), and then see what happens. Most people start out subbing (depping as it's called in the UK) and then get a reputation and therefor a chance to audition for a full gig. I would definitely talk to someone at the musicians union though, as it may be a lot stricter and harder to get into over there...

good luck!

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks for your words of wisdom and very useful suggestions everyone.
    Burcaw

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Just a thought - the latest issue of "Double Bassist" magazine includes a couple of pieces of music written for solo double bass by the composer/bassist "Teppa Hauta-Aho". I found them very interesting and the second one is quite challenging. Maybe the magazine has lists of music, they do have a website :

http://www.doublebassist.com

- where presumably they could be contacted. They also review music published for double bass each month.