Fujigen or American professional jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Direwoof, Nov 24, 2021.

1. FGN is a valued OEM supplier / ghost builder for some of the biggest manufacturers out there, their quality is first-rate, I'd think they'd be even better about axes they sell with their own name on them.

But like all the other 'alternate-fender-bass-shaped-objects' like Moon, Bacchus, and the other MIJ alternatives, FGN is one of those brands you have to know about, they're not on most average guys' radar: So, if resale may be a consideration, I'd have to give a nod to the Fender.

But that's the only advantage I could think of. World in calamity or not, the Japanese quality piece-to-piece still remains better than almost anything else I can think of.

https://fgnguitars.com/

Hard to go wrong with alder or ash, but if weight is not unreasonable, I prefer ash: The extra hardness, for me, adds a little definition, especially in fives.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  2. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I personally own a dozen or so Jazz Bass shaped basses. My FGN Neo Classic is near the top of what I consider to be a cool list of basses. If buying sight unseen there is no doubt I would buy a Neo classic over a Fender anything. If the instruments were both local I would give a fair shake to both but probably still favor the FGN. They really are that nice. FWIW I generally prefer ash too, but my FGN is alder and I think it is great. Ash doesn't ALWAYS equate to heavy but generally speaking it runs heavier. Also the neck profile on my NEO seems to be a slimmer profile which I prefer.

3. Sponson Thrisby

Sponson Thrisby

Feb 15, 2019
    I cancelled my order for a US Geddy and got this instead. I'm not regretting it at all - very nice instrument.
    FGN Expert Mighty Jazz. LowEndLobster did an great review of one of these, and I believe his only concern was noise from a dirty power supply nearby
    I've seen similar in certain cases - I've had no issue with mine at home, with LED lights, computer + 2 monitors, and amp. But last week jamming at a friend's place and standing in a specific spot under a light fixture was making it hum. Two steps away, and it was fine. When I turned up the volume full on both pickups, they cancelled out and it was quiet. But you'll get that with most single coil pickups.
    At some point I may pull the pickguard and see what shielding is in there. Maybe put in some copper foil.

But overall, it's a seriously excellent instrument. And it's kind of cool to not be just another Fender.
    DSC_1195.JPG

Direwoof likes this.
  4. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    Resale is valid. Being a better bass is not necessarily transferred into holding its price.

The list of 2k basses scratching around the 1k mark a couple of years later without a very solid brand is large.

5. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    Don’t know if it matters
    But,I own a fujijen coolz telecaster
    And it rivals any us made fender
    Quality
    Very nice
    , I would expect the same from their basses

6. Direwoof

Direwoof

Nov 8, 2021
    Fullerton CA
    I decided to order taht ASH blue burst one in my photo, its teh only left handed one ive ever seen. It seems like left handed basses other than some entry level bacchus and aria not really big in japan. I was looking at ATELIER Zs cause they are a work of art but they dont make a single left handed anything.

Sponson Thrisby likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021