1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fulfillment in desire alone ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 14, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

A few months ago someone shared an interesting concept with me and I wanted to get your feedback on such a concept. The point this person was making that some in life are fulfilled in the desire and the ability to have a desire as opposed to the physical fulfillment of a desire and the highest good achived is learning to cope and enjoy it in desire alone. Anyone else fimilar with this concept ?

2. it sounds like the saying "its not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Certainly applies to most cases of GAS, bass related or not. I can spend countless hours investigating a new bass, laptop, amp, camera or whatever. Once the purchase is made, it's usually not nearly as fun.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I will admit to being a huge masochist when it comes to desire. I will want and want and want and indulge in the lack of something so that it's eventual arrival is even more powerful.

5. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Without wishing to quibble (too much ;) ) over semantics, isn't "desire" itself something which cannot be fullfilled? i.e. once you "have" what you desired, some other emotion takes over.

Or, put another way, if you feel "desire" for something, doesn't that mean that you are unfullfilled in respect of that which you desire?

Perhaps what you are asking is akin to;

"Can some people be satisfied with being unsatisfied"?

In which case, I'd have to say "No, they're just resigned to being unfulfilled". It's a different thing.

:meh: My head hurts!

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I totally disagree. I hate desiring. I like fullfilling. I desired my new bass, and I investigated it, tried it out, researched it, and then I bought it. Playing with it is WAY better. Dig it. Same with all other areas of my life. Desiring a new surfboard. Sucks. Riding a new surfboard. Rocks. Desiring a chick. Sucks. Riding a chick. Rocks. Desiring a delicious meal. Sucks. Eating a delicious meal. Rocks. I can contemplate high ideals and philosophical thoughts, but I'd rather not. Maybe it's just me.

7. JimS

JimS Supporting Member

The means to an end or..... are the means an end in themselves? Seems similar to part of Emmanual Kant's or Hegel's ideas.

For me, both.

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    ^Oh yeah, I hated xmas as a kid too.

9. I agree with you. Life is for living.

10. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I know what you are talking about. It's called "anti-Buddhism".

11. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Try that with eating and drinking (not the alcoholic kind), and let us know how long you last.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Dr. Jim where did you take Philosophy ?