Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full body truss rod..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RedV, Jul 18, 2004.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Just thinking out loud, but why has no one ever done a truss rod that ran the ENTIRE length of a neck through? I'd imagine you'd have even more tweaking abilities with using both ends. Or am I missing something entirely here?

Alex

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the physics would be wrong. The body would not flex, and it would be almost pointless. It would also be more to break, and more expensive to repair, and build.

3. :rollno:

More to the point, how would a set of pickups fit in? :smug:

4. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    You sound like you don't agree Hambone?:)

For the pickups, let's just say it's not an issue. Would the idea of the full body truss rod be of any real benefit, or would it be a waste of time? Just my mind wandering.

Alex

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There is no benefit to be gained by doing this, except if consider an adjustment point at the base of the body to be more accessable. The body would not flex, nor is there any reason you might want it too.

6. Precisely what the good Pilot said.

A trussrod benefits from stiffness. A full body truss rod would have only about 2/3 of it's lenght involved with the neck and the rest would simply be a connector between the adjusment end and the live truss rod itself. The longer the rod, the more prone to bending it would be unless it was corraled in a channel. Then you run into the pup situation again.

I HAVE however seen an elaborate contraption in the Patent Office that was designed to be a constant TR adjustment based on string tension while the guitar was being played. Now that took up some room. :eyebrow:

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Ok, I can accept that answer:) Like I said, just thinking out loud and I can understand why you wouldn't use it now. I love this place:)

Alex