Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

full circle cutting out--anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by PB+J, Feb 27, 2005.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I've been pretty happy with the sound of the full circle, but last week it started doing this thing where at times it will sort of cut out--the output decreases by about half, and takes most of the bass frequencies with it. I give the wheel a little turn, and clicks in and out. Obviously someting's wrong--has anyone else had this problem?

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes. I had that problem with the FC that came with my bass. After getting very frustrated, I sent it back to Fishman, and they replaced it very quickly.

I heard a rumor that there was an early run of units with this problem, but that the problem was corrected and the later production runs did not have this problem. Since I bought a new one while the old one was in the shop, I currently have a backup pickup should anything happen to it.

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    thanks--I'll contact Fishman

4. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Damn. Mine just took the same kind of dump right on the gig. Of course I left all my backup stuff safely in my house miles away from the gig. I spent the rest of 3 sets on a mexican jazz bass kindly lent from a fellow that lived nearby.

Uggh. I hate broken stuff.

5. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Mine is currently at fishman, being "looked at." I'm not real happy about the fact that it failed in the first place, and I'm not sure how much faith I'll have ibn it when it returns. We'll see--I'll post the results

6. Yes, I had this exact same problem with a full circle pickup on one of my EUB's. It happened at a most in-opportune time (right in the middle of a gig) but fortunately it was only a 2 hour gig so I managed to get through the last half of it - although embarrassing.

Fortunately I happen to live in very close driving distance to the
    Fishman Factory in Wilmington, MA so I called them and they asked to get it back ASAP - so I drove to the factory with the defective unit. They in fact confirmed that it was a particular failure mode that they had not seem up to that time so they were VERY GLAD to get it back. They immediately replaced the defective unit with a new one and I have not have the problem since.

Can't complain about the GREAT customer service freom Fishman though!

This experience has "inspired me" to equip both of my EUB's with a second pickup for redundancy. If you're miles away from home, doing a gig and the pickup fails on a solid body instrument - what do you do?

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    what do i do for back up? Maybe buy a bass max--cheap and reliable.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ditto that - their CS was exemplary. They ended up sending me a new FS, and I've never had a problem.

Ditto. I keep a Bass Max in my case along with a winder and an extra set of strings. I also keep a PMB-II, extra batteries, and a full set of extra cables for my rig under the driver's seat of my car just in case. The gig must go on..

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Thats funny I have a bass max back up too. Had it sitting in the bag with my PMB. Took it out a couple months ago to use on a gig on my Baby Bass and never put it back.

Dooh!

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Do you ever worry about getting caught in an electrical storm with all the thousands of miles of coppper that you must be sitting in the middle of on the way to your gigs?

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    No. I've spent the last few years building up an immunity to Iocane powder. :)

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  13. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I had TWO in a row do exactly what you are saying over the course of a couple of months. I gave up on them at that point. They were bought at Lemur who was very good at exchanging them. I think it's a cracked piezo. Lemur had said I was the only one with that problem at that time...too bad, it was a good sounding pickup.

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I wonder if there is a tension issue involved. I'm at the moment using spirocore mittel on A, D, and G strings, and stark E. Anybody using light tension strings that have had a busted crystal? Might be usefull feedback for Fishman. I like that pickup quite a bit and plan on continuing to use it. I'll just have to carry a backup FC for quick changes if it busts. Sure would be nice if they could fix it for good though.

15. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    That's exactly what I thought - but I ended up changing from Spirocore's to Corelli's at the same time I gave up on the Full Circle, so I never found out. But changing to the Corelli's really gave the bass it's voice back - so the strings were too high tension for that DB...

16. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I'm using it with Eurosonic mediums, which I think are about as low tension as it gets. Cracked piezo sounds aout right--I was playing the thing at home, trying to get a feel for the pickup and how it sounds, and suddenly there was a little thunk and the output dropped. By turning the wheel I was able to get full output back, and got through a gig that way, but I'm wondering if maybe this pickup isn't ready for prime tme?

It's been at fishman for five days now--I got an email saying it had arrived. No word yet on what they are gong to do.

I'm looking around at other pickup options. I like the full circle a lot, and if it works well when it comes back fine, but I'm a little uneasy about it

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Mine is working just fine with a full set of Spiro Starks on, which as far as I know are among the highest tension strings ever made. I think that the "early production run of problem pickups" rumour is likely true, and that I've got a later pickup issue on now. My only warning about the pickup at this point would be to buy it from a place that moves them pretty regularly to make sure that you're not buying on of the early ones that's been sitting on the shelf for a year and a half.

18. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I'll ask them about the production run thing. Mine was from last May 2004. fwiw I'm a Fishman Dealer. Take any comments I make with that in mind. That also gives me some measure of bitching rights. I will post any insight I can garner.

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    There were connection problems with the way the cable and the elements were potted in the beginning of the production run. They said they worked out those problems in early 2004 and were curious as to why my pickup has failed. I'm sending it back for them to check out. Of course they'll replace it. They are really good about that. I don't doubt that they'll clean up that problem. They can't afford pickup failure any more than any of us can.

20. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Well I gt this message just now from fishman

"This message is to inform you that your product marked with RMA# 83530 has been completed.

It has been determined that this repair or replacement is covered under warranty: It is now completed and been forwarded to our shipping department.

If your item was returned for credit or other reasons: The appropriate credit or action has been taken. If a credit was issued, you will be notified by our accounting department.

When your item has actually shipped, you will receive another email confirmation.

Thank You,
    Fishman Customer Services"

It would be nice to know what the probem was--did they replace it, or repair it? what did they replace? The message gives the impression that Fishman is the size of microsoft, and no person touched htis message. i mean, it's good to get a reply, and i'll be glad to get the pickup back, but I wonder what happened? i'm going to send "rmasupport@fishman.com" an email back, asking what the problem was