1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Full MIJ vs MIM with Japanese pickups Fender bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hysteresis, Oct 1, 2018.

1. I want to buy a classic Fender 4-string and I'm leaning towards a Jazz bass. I found a nice 2016 MIM with 90's Japanese pickups, however there's also a nice late 80's E series Precision bass for 100$ more.

I don't care about P vs J much, I just want the more reliable one in terms of build quality. What do you think?

2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I might get burned for saying this, but...

IMO, the weakest point on most Japanese Fenders are the actual pickups, and this is coming from someone who has owned and played a ton of them in the 80s and 90s. To me personally, MIM with Japanese PUs would be completely non-interesting, but I'm not the one buying it.

My advice would be to get the P-Bass, make sure everything is in good order (frets, truss rod..important stuff) and enjoy it. Japanese Fenders from that era are very usable instruments.

My $0.02 only...

getbent and saabfender like this.
  3. getbent

getbent

Aug 20, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Get the E-series P. The MIJ stuff from that era is fantastic. (My main bass is a MIJ Jazz from 88-89 that I bought new in 1990. I replaced the pickups after about 10 years). I actually played a white E-series P at someone's party and was tempted to knock him senseless with it, then make a run for it with the bass.

ajkula66 likes this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    +1 on the wood part of Japanese Fenders being the best part. Maple MiJ necks are my favorite maple necks bar none.

5. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The MIJ will likely hold its value better than the MIM, it that is at all a concern.

6. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    I bought a brand new '62 RI MIJ jazz bass in 2007.

Gigged it for a while in a three piece jazz combo

The pickups were below par - dull and lifeless.

I sold the bass.