1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Full Moon, Niel Larsen, Buzz Feiten

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nbsipics, Dec 21, 2018.

1. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I was in high school when I first started listening to the Full Moon album. Still a favorite. Found the link today below, some good stuff in there - especially if you put it into a time perspective ( as we always should ). Neil's Jungle Fever album is also excellent. Timeless! ( ok, I like that album too, but that's another genre... )

Did any of you cats ever play with Buzzy? Neil?

Oh yeh - and somebody tell me what Bass is being played here?

Happy Holidays fellow Talk Bass'ers!

123321, ahc, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  2. Neil Larsen is one of my favorite musicians 'Jungle Fever' and 'High Gear' are records I remember finding in a cut out bin and later spending a crazy amount to buy as Japanese imports.

Ricky Minor on bass The bass is a Ken Smith five string which you can see better on the player solo at the 24 minute mark.

jerry, JimK and nbsipics like this.
  3. nbsipics

Apr 8, 2016
    Right! Jay Leno? Not bad! I hope he got a car out of the deal. Thanks for the updates. They made a follow up album to the 1972 Full Moon album that's got some good tunes on it too.

4. Hard stuff to chase down, but worth it. In all my travels Buzz and Neil are two musicians i never go to meet or see play live, to my regret. I have saved the video to my queue to savor one evening with my Tweety we try to have at least one 'concert @ home' night a week these days since I cannot get out much any more.

JimK and nbsipics like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice stuff. :thumbsup:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When I 1st got online (1999?)...the Full Moon cd was the 1st I went hunting for. $30 at Tower Records...my 1st-ever online purchase.
    The cd has a bonus cut called "Three Step Dance". A Dave Holland (he is also on this album) tune in 3.

High Gear & Jungle Fever are also great!

nbsipics and 123321 like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    One of my favorite bands and Buzzy has long been one of my favorite guitarists. The rhythm section work on Jungle Fever with Andy Newmark and Willie Weeks has always been a highwater mark for me, outstanding!
    This one of my favorite Neil Larsen songs not performed by him:

Comet01, funkinbottom, JimK and 3 others like this.
  8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Right back atcha', @nbsipics!

nbsipics likes this.
  9. nbsipics

Apr 8, 2016
    Sea Level - another great mention! Call me nostalgic, but I think this type of music could make a comeback at venues where the young kids are waking-up to the better quality of the best 60's-80's jazz/rock/funk.

But if I was so f-ing smart, I'd be touring!

JimK, funkinbottom and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I have a Buzz Feiten tuning system on my Washburn Renegade...

nbsipics likes this.
  11. Thanks, this is a treat.

I have Niel's "Through Any Window" and a couple of his other albums. Been a fan since '88 ish.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    4 Full Moon-ers on this...
    Buzzy Feiten, Freddie Beckmeier, Brother Gene, & Phillip Wilson.

nbsipics and jerry like this.
  13. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I think Buzzy was the youngest musician to play Woodstock when he was in Butterfield's band. Also check out the Rascals early 70's albums with both Buzzy and Pops Popwell in the band, excellent overlooked stuff.

JimK likes this.
  14. nbsipics

Apr 8, 2016
    You to see that band around Chicago back when, er, Chicago roamed the Earth! Thanks!

15. Comet01

Comet01

Mar 27, 2008
    wayne, nj
    Neil contributed another fantastic tune to Sea Level:

I believe that Neil played the uncredited B-3 solo.

nbsipics, jerry and JimK like this.
  16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    More Buzzy at Woodstock:

JimK and nbsipics like this.