1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Full MXR Bass Innovations Pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by puffer33, Jun 10, 2014.

1. puffer33

puffer33

Jun 21, 2005
    I am thinking of putting together a full MXR Bass Pedal board consisting of:

M83 Chorus
    M87 Comp
    M82 Env. Filter
    M84 Fuzz
    M288 Octave
    M89 Overdrive
    CSP101sl Script Phase 90
    M169 Carbon Copy
    M80 DI+
    105Q Wah
    DVP3 Volume

Anyone do anything like this?

What order would you suggest? (I know there are order threads but I'm being specific with these pedals). Like input

Cheers

2. Lucky for you I actually have a setup very similar to this at the moment!
    My signal chain goes as follows:
    Bass--> M288 Octave- Way Huge Pork Loin- M89 Overdrive- M84 Fuzz- M83 Chorus-BOSS BF2-105Q Crybaby-M82 Envelope-Phase 100- Tuner- M80 DI+
    I used to own the Carbon Copy but sold it and am anticipating a Way Huge Supa Puss at the moment, but when I owned the CC I had it after the tuner so that I could hit the tuner and mute my signal as the delay trailed off at say the end of a song. My recommendation would be to put the volume pedal in front of the delay and after all of the gain-based overdrive/fuzz, say where the tuner is in my chain. That way you can do volume swells with delay, and use the volume pedal to cut off the signal and not get any hum from distortion pedals being still on. I'd also recommend having the Bass DI+ at the very end of the chain so that it can be used as a DI for a sound guy in case of an emergency, say your amp dies or you're given a less than pleasing backline.
    Hope this helps!

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Pretty neat to come across your post, I am just diving into effects for the first time myself and have a board of MXR and Electro Harminix boxes. I'm figuring out the order of everything right now myself, but I like the M80 at the very end to boost the tone. The MXR pedals I picked up include the M80, The Bass Chorus Deluxe, and the Envelope Filter. Quality stuff!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The problem I can see is painting yourself into a corner with just one brand. Especially considering the general negative opinions of some of the MXR pedals. I can tell you first hand that the Bass Fuzz and Bass Overdrive are...not great. The M87 seems very problematic as well.

puffer33 likes this.
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have to say that I don't totally get the idea of using all one brand of pedals. Ok I get the concept that one manufacturer will have thought about interactions that mixing manufacturers may miss but I don't think that I have found one maker (much less MXR) that does everything well. If I did find such a beast I am pretty sure I would just opt for a multi effects unit from them.

With MXR I think the Phase 90 script is pure genius. And the compressor seems to be very much liked by people here. I personally think there are better envelope filters and delays for the same money and I can not stand their fuzz or overdrive - I find them gratey and thin and not at all what I am going for

Chorus is an effect that my jury is still out on but I have been messing around with a MXR m134 stereo chorus that admittedly is pretty cool. When I can tell its on...

adi77 likes this.
  6. Hey, whatever works! I personally dig the MXR pedals that I currently own. I'll admit they're not perfect and not every effect they make will suit everybody's tastes, but they're reasonably cheap, readily available, compact, and (IME) are very reliable.
    However, to each their own! If you have a company you love, nobody's stopping you from getting gear from them! :)

Winoman and Mosfed like this.
  7. IMHO it comes down to finding your sound with your ears vs. your eyes.

puffer33 likes this.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I didn't mean at all to bust on MXR or anyone that uses their stuff. I think much of it is excellent and I agree with your statements about price, availability, usefulness etc.

I was just trying to make a comment on the logic of building a super extensive board like the OP was planning without considering other manufacturers. Apologies if you took that wrong.

And again I think some of the original MXR circuits like the Phase 90, the Distortion + (my newest favorite guitar distortion - I've had an original 1978 since probably 1990 and totally stopped using it for no reason), and the DynaComp are legends for a reason- because THEY ROCK!!!

9. adi77

adi77 Inactive

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    i also find it slightly peculiar to have a pedal board involving only one brand... puffer33, may i ask why you want only MXR pedals?

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I pick the pedals I like regardless of brand; sound and function rates higher than the label on the pedal ... if some of them happen to come from the same manufacturer, so be it, but it's not important.

Like others I don't see the point of limiting yourself to just one brand. I like and use a few of the MXR/Dunlop pedals you list (chorus, octaver, expression/volume), but I think you can do much better in particular with overdrive and fuzz from other brands (unless you have actually listened to and really like the ones from MXR of course).

11. puffer33

puffer33

Jun 21, 2005
    Appreciate all the comments and no offence taken. All good points. Just had a number of MXR and wanted to explore the interaction. Like some but not pleased with others. This is a short term experimental thing.

Cheers

12. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Funnily enough my pedal board is all Aguilar and MXR... sort of by choice, sort of by providence, completely because it works "good enough" but it actually bugs me that it's not more diverse... the trouble is, I get the sounds I generally like out of them all... and I'm too lazy to chase the "perfect" pedal. I may start swapping things out though... especially on the distortion front... I use it more than I ever thought I would, and I'm getting more finicky. Darkglass is calling my name!

Interesting to note, I actually find "mixing bloodlines" gets better sounds, or different... take for example my "synth recipe" Octave, Filter, Distortion... I've found that if I use the Aguilar Octamizer with the Aguilar Filter Twin and Aggro it sounds *too* synthy.... swap the Octamizer with the MXR BOD, and it pulls it back to something that sounds like a bass that sounds like a synth (in a good way)

Winoman likes this.
  13. at the moment i have the 105q, octave deluxe, and fuzz deluxe. i want to get mxr chorus deluxe to finish my board. mxr bass innovations is specific for bass and you can't do wrong with them, imo. 105q and the octave are most recommended wah and octave. i want to get the chorus deluxe because of the x-over and flanger.

after i buy the chorus deluxe i'll make a video and gradually make my ebs board. wah one, octave, fuzz mo, and dual chorus. once done, i'll mae a video to compare the two boards.

i like the fuzz deluxe. it's my favorite pedal. it keeps the lowend end, that's all i want in a fuzz. i use a gretsch g5123b and it sounds get with the pedal. since i use a hollowbody looking for "better" is practically pointless because of feed back.

laziness is a factor, because i'm not looking for a very specific sound. pedals are expensive, so i invest in product that you can stick with until your next purchase. i won't buy something to try it then return it, i'm lazy.

i also take into account if the company supports and acknowledge bassist. some companys could have a bass effect or a guitar effect that sounds good on bass but they never make sound sample or a video.

other pedals i want to get

wah: rmc-9, morly dual bass wah, glab wowee
    fuzz: dark glass duality fuzz
    octave: aguilar
    chorus: tech 21 bass chorus boost
    combo: tc electronic stereo chorus, black cat fuzz octave, b:assmaster,

14. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Richfield, Ohio

At one point in time I had 7 of these pedals. I had the same idea you have now. I had the compressor, envelope filter, carbon copy, deluxe fuzz, bass octave deluxe, overdrive, and chorus. Unlike some of the opinions I actually thought each pedal sounded very good. My problem was finding a specific use for them. After some time I have since sold the chorus, octave, carbon and fuzz. The compressor is on all the time and I use the overdrive quite a bit and the filter on the funk type songs that we do. I also have an Strymon Lex that I use in conjunction with a EQD Organizer for an organ effect. I have those two for sale now as we have added a keyboard player so the usage will limited at best.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021