Full range? bi-amp? two inputs each? i don't get it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Hello all,
    I have a question about the amp outputs and cab inputs.
    I have a peavey 1810 right now, and it has four input jacks in the back. two biamp inputs (low and high) and two full range jacks. so i guess my question is, why does the full range have two jacks? two different amps into one cab? I notice this in amps too. they have to outputs. do you send the two outs on the head to the two ins in the cab? if so, would that be how you would biamp a head? this is kind of coming from my behringer BX3000 head thread, where it was suggested i get a biampable head instead of the behringer, because it sounds bad on full range.
    Please Help!
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The two full-range inputs are for daisy-chaining the cab with other cabs. Running two amps into it would not be good. AKA:

Well, not quite THAT bad, but you get my idea. ;)
  3. so, really, they aren't "just" inputs, they go both ways, in and out, so if i get something like a 410 cab i hook one amp output into my 1810, have another cable go to the 410 from the 1810's other full range jack? or inversly, i could take an amp with two outs send one cable to the 1810, and another to the 410 from the amps other output? or say i got another 410, had one output go from the amp to the 1810, daisy chain a 410 to it, and have the other output of the amp power the other 410, which could possibly be daisy-chained to more cabs? so by my logic, you could have an infinite number of cabs being powered by one amp, which really sounds weird. or is it the fact that the amp can only supply so much power that keeps it from being possible.
    am i just confusing myself? probably.

also, back to two amp outs, two cab ins, are you supposed to plug them both in to each other? (both amp outs in to both amp ins) that also helps with the biamping question, if i plugged one output into the high, and the other output into the low. Does it work that way?
  4. Yeah, you are... I'm the guy that suggested you try running that cab bi-amped. Basically an amplifier that is bi-amp capable will have an internal cross-over. This little thingy will split your signal into highs and lows at either a pre-determined point (like some GK heads) or with an adjustable knob. You would run a cable from the "high" out-put on the back of the amp to the "high" input on the cab and the "low" out-put on the back of the amp to the "low" input on the cab. Your amp then sends the low frequencies to the big speaker and the high frequencies to the little speakers. This is bi-amping!

Now about the other part, running infinite speakers and such...
    NO! This isn't possible! Most amplifiers will only handle a 4 ohm load (some will run down to 2 ohms, but not many). This is basically going to be either one 4 ohm cabinet, two 8 ohm cabinets, or four 16 ohm cabinets, etc... Are you with me? Every time you add another cabinet to the chain your amplifier "sees" a lower impedence. Go too low and "poof", your amp gets smoked. IOW you need to either match your amp and cabs impedence or be under it. An amplifier rated at 4 ohms will run an 8 ohm cabinet just fine (although it will produce less power) as well as any 4 ohm load you give it. Did this help?
  5. definatly.
    thanks for clearing that up!