Full Range Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funky_bass_guy, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Hey guys,
    Last night I played my bass through headphones (instead of my tiny 20 watt combo) and was amazed just how good my bass sounded. I had a talk with my dad about this and he reccommended some JBL Control 30s, we have the Control 1s as hifi speakers and they sound really good, I have faith in the Control 30s but I am not quite sure if they are powerful enough? So basically im looking for a decent full range, but good value cabinet, to give a good uncoloured sound. I am very keen on JBLs and if any of you have had any experience with them I would be grateful. Yes they are PA speakers! The only catch is it must be available in the UK.

2. Here is a link to the Control 30, its right at the bottom of the page. Control 30
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

A few things stand out in the spec sheet:

There is a bypassable 70 volt line transformer in it. Extra weight and cost, with no benefit for your application. 42 pounds seems kinda heavy for what this cab is, but that's your call.

40 Hz -3dB point, 38Hz is -10. OK for four string, not so hot for 5 or more.

93dB sensitivity rating. Very low, it's going to be pretty power hungry.

No tweeter level control. This would be a potential deal breaker, for me.

Plastic cabinet. Could be fine, but some are, well, kind of plasticky, y'know?

Personally, I'd be sure to try this speaker before spending any money on it. I do enjoy full-range cabs, especially for my electric upright. The JBL Eon 15 is maybe too expensive in the UK, eh?

_____________________Charlie Escher
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    almost any good pa speakers sound great with bass
    you just want to be sure that they have adequate frequncy response and power handling capability as well as being efficient
    that said, a lot of the modern "hi-fi" bass guitar cabinets out there are as "uncolored" as pa speakers - so look around
  5. Thats good to know, can you reccommend any PA and Bass cabinets in particular that sound great and are uncoloured? A single JBL eon might be with it my range I will check.

6. Wow I found an eon for only £280, the non powered version. They seem pretty good to me.EonThey are light too at 19.5 kg.

I was also looking at the Mpro range, in particular this cabinet Mpro MP415
  7. I've used those EON15s quite a lot at college and rehersing, they're light, full range and if I remember correctly can be tilted back to 35degrees on their rear feet.

We usually run 500watts into two of them, sitting on top of 2 15" JBL subs with another 500watts each.

The only problem I've found with them is that they feel quite cheap and are dented easily.
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Actually, this is not bad. Very few bass cabs go down to 31Hz @ 3db down -- Acme, Eden D-n10XST's, some of the Accugroove cabs.

For most cabs, 3db down at 40Hz will actually sound pretty good doing low 'B'.
    Of course, if pushed too hard some cabs might fart out trying to go that low, but we talking pushing really hard.
    Don't overdo the bass boost and you should be alright.

Case in point:
    Aguilar GS112 Frequency response: 42 Hz to 16 kHz (from their website).
    Usually the endpoints given for specs like these (when no parameters are given) are 10db down.
    The GS112 has a really nice sounding low 'B'.

Of course, efficiency/power handling for any cabinet reproducing bass is really important.
  9. Thanks, was that for vocals or did you get a chance to put bass through them? If so what did it sound like.

Nice to see you!
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Of course, efficiency/power handling for any cabinet reproducing bass is really important.

Agreed. I also agree about the freq specs, to a point, but combined with that low sensitivity spec (which only is rated from 100Hz up, BTW), I'd bet that cab won't work well for 5 string, except at pretty low volume. At least in my experience, that quick rolloff from 40 to 38 looks scary. That said, I have no direct playing experience with a low B, only tonnes of synth and sound deWd experience. I'd rather have something that rolls smoothly from 55, or even higher, but that is sensitive and can deal with the needed EQ boost gracefully, which of course describes many PA cabs. I suspect that's why the Aggies (and many other bass cabs) sound just fine with a spec that suggests otherwise, thay take to typical bass amp voicing well. For 'lectric bass, I don't care much about the fundamental anyway, but many people at least think they do, eh? For upright, it's very different though.

Funky/Chris: can you telll us something about your projected use for the cab?
  11. Yep, I am leaning towards the Mpro cabinets now, but I want to use it for a good quality 500 watt aprox rig for playing at rock/funk gigs and I play 4-string!

Cheers Chris
  12. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    You can test drive the new AccuGroove Tri 110L cabinets at:

The Gallery
    142 Royal College Street
    London. NW1 0TA
    020 72675458/5258

13. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    personally i think the eons kinda suck
    don't be too put off by a sharp dip in the extreme lows - a lot of times cabs really don't reproduce them but we hear them as a "trick" of our brain creating them by hearing the upper partials - this actually sounds tighter
    from what i understand mike tobias decided to go bolt on with his mtd line of basses as bolt on necks sorta do the same thing - they don't reproduce the actual low frequency of a b string as well, but they sound tighter as a result
    to answer your other question, a whole bunch of high end bass cabinets are pretty much "full range"
    try epifani, bergantino, EA, and a whole bunch of others
    even the swr goliath 1 and 2 were pretty flat
  14. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    We use the MPro at my church, 2x15" subs with 2x10" full range, the bass is very tight but lacks any real punch IMO, it sounds good but it doesnt hit very well.