Full-Range Drivers? Fact or Fantasy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, May 19, 2002.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I have a question for those gifted in acoustic engineering.

I have a recent Peavey Minx that will push 50w into a 4 ohm load. I bought it with the intention of possibly repackaging it with another driver/box. My goal is a smallish (<2cu'), fairly light (30#), rig for individual practice with a 5 string.

Should I be looking at 8" drivers instead of the 10" ? Or maybe a 2x5 box or 2x6.5?

Is there a 10" driver that goes low and still is flat up to 2-4k, or will I need a crossover and midrange driver to get it to work?

I've never ventured into the small drivers before!
  2. Fantasy.

Every driver has a working range, and it is not 20 ~ 20 KHz.

I have an older Minx that won't support the 4 ohm load. Nice practice amp, and also good for coffee shops. It doesn't cut it for a 5 string for sure, and also lacks something for the E string on my MIM P.

If you are willing to sacrifice loudness, there are a large number of subs used in cars that will get all the way down, and in a small box. The smaller subs will reach a little higher up the frequency range, but still won't go nearly high enough for full tone from your bass. You will need a mid-range driver that is good to 7,000 Hz.

My Minx project is a new cab to hold different speakers and the existing Minx guts. I have a 10" Rockford RFR-2210 sub and a 6" Rockford RFR-1406 midrange for this project. This will give me an F3 of 33 Hz in 0.71 cubic feet, vented, and an upper end of 5,000 Hz.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are plenty of MI drivers that will get you up to 4 Khz, even some 15" ones but if you use speakers optimized to work as woofers with serious low end extension, don't expect them to deliver much above 1 Khz.