Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full range, high fidelity for Stick

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by qveda, Apr 3, 2002.

1. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi, I just joined the list. Chapman Stick is my first musical instrument. Looking for high-fidelity, full range, 2 channel system. For the foreseable future I'll be practing in a spare bedroom, eventually hope to play small-med venues. Don't need lots of volume, but may need power to hear the low end well.
    Considering BagEnd TA spkrs +ELF sub; or bass cabs (some combination of multiple10's and 1x15's. 1x12's seem to be gaining popularity, so I could go with two 1x12 plus a larger cab.for mono sub mix.
    I am new to this kind of gear, and haven't heard many products. So I'd like to hear your recommendations regarding brands or configurations that can achieve these goals. Was thinking of a quality PA amp(s) (QSC, Crest, etc) , but open to suggestions. THANKS! - Qua

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Welcome to bass guitar land. I too am considering amplification options for the Chapman Stick. (Shh, don't tell anyone, I hope to have one soon.)

the Bag End idea is a good one but expensive. But I think you could get by with the 18hz ELF processor, and 12" or 18" sub. I was thinking of using 2 of the coaxial 10" speakers in a stereo spread w/ the 12" sub. That would sound sweet, and you just another 12" sub if you need more volume. This will still run you a good chunk of change. Another option in the Bag End sphere would be to forego the ELF and get a pair of of the coaxial 1x15" or a pair of the coaxial 2x10". The 1x15 is popular on TalkBass due to it's loudness and portability. The 2x10" is heavier, but it goes lower and is double the wattage capacity. I've been thinking of trying out two of these without tweeters for use with a tube overdrive/distortion setup. their top end is 6k which is pretty decent AFAIK, and might have enough top end for me.

I see I've really rambled here, so, for an amp reccomendation, I've used a Stewart PA-1000 for many years, and it's been a great sounding, reliable workhorse for me. It's also 1 rack space and 11 lbs. Stewart also makes more powerful amps. I beleive the site is www.stewartaudio.com.

Do you want to run each side in stereo, or dual mono?

Let's keep in touch on this thread.

3. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi,
    not sure if I fully grock dual mono vs stereo. I'm using a rane sp13 preamp. I like the flexibility of being able to treat the melody and bass differently - or not, and also run some stereo effects. So if I go with Bag End, I like your suggestion of the smaller (10") TAs plus a 12" ELF sub. BagEnd recommended two TA-1200 or 2000, and an ELF 2x12 or 1x15 or 1x18 . Any of the above could be mind-blowing for the Stick ! - but spendy as you pointed out.
    I'm trying to get to a dealer (Oregon) where I can hear some of the BagEnd gear and compare it to conventional bass cabs. I think the TAs may appeal most to my audiophile sensibilities.
    Lets stay in touch on this...
    -Qua

4. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    First, how do you like the SP-13? I've been thinking of doing a small mod to my (borrowed) Alembic Superfilter to accept the TRS and rout the two channels bass and melody. This would then be two intrument level outputs to two preamps. I can't wait to try the superfilter with the Stick.

Anyway, what I mean by stereo vs. dual mono is do you rout each Stick side to a stereo output, or do the bass and melody keep their own signal paths to different power amps and speakers. I know with the SP-13 you can do either. Would you happen to know off hand if the inserts are line or instrument level?

What version of the Sick do you play? and what configuration and tuning do you use?

5. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    this is a little random for this thread... but it kinda relates. does anyone know where i could get some samples things played on a stick? ive never heard one, and im kinda interested to know what kind of things theyre capable of.

6. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    There are recordings available of much Stick playing at www.stick.com. Videos too.

7. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi,

I have a Grand with matched reciprocal tuning and med.gage strings. But I'm getting one of the new graphite Grands with heavy gage strings, fret rails and the PASV-4 pickup in a couple of months. I like the flexibility of treating the melody and bass with different effects (dual mono), but I am not trying necessarily to make my bass side sound like a bass. I like the idea of Stick as a stereo instrument with 12 strings. But with a mixer and the Rane, there are tons of ways of routing the audio. I'm thinking of possibly ending up with a 3 cabinet arrangement with two channels for stereo effects and treatment of melody side and bass side and a mono mix going to a full range cab and/or ELF. I'm so new, just learning to play, that I'm way ahead of my self with the gear. But I Love sound and want to hear it all , even as I'm just learning!

The SP-13 is *very*flexible. Check out Glenn Poorman's great review and user guide www.detroitstick.com, and also www.rane.com has lots of info. The inserts I think are comparable to aux sends, so I guess that would be line level (I think). I'll have to check out the Superfilter - sounds interesting!

-Qua

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    FWIW, I saw Greg Howe play last year and he was using a Hartke 2x10 cab. I couldn't really tell what kind of amp he was using, but it looked like he was running a bunch of MIDI gear.

9. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    My interest is in a Graphite Grand as well, but last I heard, there was no definite release date. I went as far as e-mailing Mr. Mosher of Moses Graphite, and he kindly replied that he hadn't yet received the master from Stick Ent. So, indeed, it could be months... I might, however just get the 10 and be happy. I'm thinking of an uncrossed continuous tuned Stick w/ bass in fifths. Fat strings on the outside.

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I think Tony Levin plays stick on a lot of King Crimson records. Trey Gunn plays a Warr guitar also that is hard for me to tell Who's Who.

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    as far as trying out the gear, if you are in oregon, it's probably worth it to make the pilgrimage to bassnw in seattle.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hartke 3500 head, and a PA cab. The Hartke has a great graphic EQ with an incredible range so you can easily adjust the lows and highs for good sound, and a good full range PA cab will keep you from an overly bassy sound. I would look for one with a real low frequency response. 30Hz would be great but 50Hz is probably fine.

Ive seen a chapman stick played through this setup before, and it sounded great.

Nick