1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Full range PA speakers with bass amp heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsa0100, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    I have noticed that some larger PA speakers have very similar specs as speakers made specially for bass. Bass speakers with 4x10" is often tuned a little higher (fs/3db) also PA speakers seems to have larger horns and sometimes a lower crossover frequency.

Still, why are so few using them?

2. Once you add in mains, subs, cross over, power amp, Pre amp, and the rest of the stuff to make a PA rig work, you have spent way more money than a good bass rig. You are also hauling and dealing with a lot more pieces, which can all fail. You are also bordering on just building a whole PA, which is the next logical step. The problem is you are then running into proper bass monitoring.

Some people are fine with crappy monitors for bass. Im not, so I would have to have a amp anyways.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Part of it, I think, is just that musicians are slow to accept change and are happy to keep using designs that are based upon 30 or more year old technology.

I believe the entire Greenboy fEARFUL cabinet series was inspired by using a 3-way P.A. speaker for bass.

4. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    Yes but i already own several heads, don't need power amp/pre amp. And there is a lot of PA speakers from JBL, Peavey and so on on the used marked.

5. Those PA mains are not going to handle the lows, and subs are not going to handle the highs. You need a cross over to make them work together.

That said I use a fEARful, LF drivers crossed over with mid drivers crossed over with a horn. All in one cab.

Its not that the idea of a PA rig isnt sound, its the implementation that is the hang up for a lot of folks

6. Another part of the answer is that PA speakers tend to be extremely clean and transparent. Which some like and some do not.

7. They sound like what you put into them. No baked in tone to hide behind, they let you hear things you may not like in your amp, bass, or playing style.

8. Yes. Which can be undesirable. I know you will disagree with me on this, as you are a fEarful guy. Whatever. Just not the same.

9. You are right it can be undesirable, but you are not hearing a flaw in the cab you are hearing something that you dont like in the signal chain. The point I was trying to make is the cab can get you the tone you desire, but it may require a different approach. I would prefer to have a cab that doesnt have a baked in tone, and add that tone when I want it.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    A lot of bass players, especially those who run through the PA, don't want a lot of real deep lows coming from their stage cab.

Many multi-way PA cabs with internal crossovers rival or surpass commericial bass cabs in low end response...and the specs for sound reinforcement cabs are usually much more reliable than those advertised for musical instrument cabs.

Hallic likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

No need to be dismissive.

fEARful guys know the difference between their cabs and a PA. While a fEARful definitely takes its cues from a PA style setup, there's no denying that its been tuned and 'slanted' to provide what we as bass players want and need to hear.

12. Fixed it for you....:D

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

:confused: Just looking to argue and split hairs today?

EVERY BASS CAB no matter who's building it and what they make has been designed for what a bass player wants to hear.

This is why I don't bother to engage in fEARful talk around here anymore.

To quote someone else in this thread, "whatever".

14. That was me. Hey, not trying to be difficult. Just goofing around.

15. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I don't use backline amps or speakers anymore for the following reasons. In my case it's redundent. I always have full pa support. It's less to carry. I can get close to the same sound from my monitor as I can get from a bass rig. The signal is also close enough to the FOH sound that I can be reasonably certain that changes I make on my bass, will be reflected through the FOH. I also have full control over my monitor mix. (as does everyone in the band) I can also control the low lows through the monitor (under 100 hrz). I can hear those lows from the FOH subs, so I get less interferance and cancelations from my "rig" out front.

YMMV, but I find this the easiest way to get my sound out front. It's very simular to using a full range pa speaker, IMHO. I just use a wedge pointed at my face. You know, where my ears are located. ;)

This would never work if I did not have full pa support.