Full review of my gear .. Part I :The Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Oct 12, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I am writing this review because I just, finally, hooked up my complete rig arsenal! My cab, amp, and sonic maximizer are all hooked up, and I can finally hear and tweak accordingly to how I will sound on stage. So here is the most accurate reviews I can give on both if anyone is thinking about getting either bass.

The Guitars are a Kingston 5 and Traben Phoenix 4

Kingston Fretless 5

Man alive does this thing have mids.. Thats all it is, is a MIDs Monster. With the tone control all the way you can almost feel the mids in your brain, with it on halfway there is very mild bass, but still loads of mids. And with the tone control all the way down its just muddy, with little mids and little bass. The bass plays amazingly, low action, super fast neck, and great string spacing! The tone is one I love, hi-fi all the way, but it does lack lows. This is where the BBE Sonic Maximizer comes in handy, it adds SO MUCH BOOTY to the bass that in essence, has no booty at all. I put the BBE to about 3 o'clock and I have a perfect thump, and those mids. So overall, this bass is awsome, great hi-fi sound, and great playability. It just lacks alot of lows, but get a BBE Sonic Maximizer and you will have no problems!

Traben Phoenix Fretted 4

This is a completly different beast. Traben has their own pickups, made for them. They add THUMP. When I say they add thump, I don't just mean lows and good tone, I mean Beat on Your Chest THUMP-A-THUMP-A-THUMP! Tons of tonal control, the deepest P sound to the most nasal highs, you can get a bunch of tones. It is a huge funk machine though, great for slapping. Wide space, and tight tight string tension, with a 35" scale, and string through body. With the warmth and thump of the pickups, you have got to hear this thing being slapped! The bridge, (HUGE HUGE) flame bridge adds all the sustain you could imagine. I moderatly plucked a note, and it rung out for almost a minute before it finally dissapated. It is very heavy though, a very thick body, maple neck with graphite reinforcement. It feels like you've pitched 9 innings after playing it for about an hour. That is the only downfall, but it is so beautiful to look at. Great craftsmanship! And very versitile- I would rate its versatility to that of the Ibanez ATK series.

Ok, those are my reviews on my basses. My Rig review will be on the Amp forum... Back to the Socks-Yanks game.
  2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    No offense, but IMHO...

I tried one of the Heirs once, and I thought the tone was ok, but my big problems with it were the line markers and that single coil neck pickup. Argh. I so wanted that bass to work for me.

For some reason, every one of the markers (tho some worse than others) were "indented" a bit, creating a very bad "squished/pinched" effect if you roll your finger over them in a tremolo (which I love to do on slow songs). I could also hear them during a slide... almost like a mild fretted sound.

Nothing a decent neck planing wouldn't solve, but I thought that was pretty well beneath something bearing the Tobias name right out of the box... yes, even considering the price point.

I also had a problem with the single coil pickup adding "buzz" any time it's involved (since the bridge is a humbucker, any time the neck is used, you have single coil hum). So for me, it essentially was a single pickup bass. I really think that should have been another humbucker IMHO... even if it was a stacked/multi-coil in the "J" style.

Bottom line is, IMHO, I thought the bass just didn't quite hit the mark, at least for me... but with a couple minor changes, it would... BIG time... especially considering the price point (as previously mentioned). I was really excited to try one, but just as disappointed after the fact.
  3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Just played a Kingston 5, this weekend.
    What a great bass for the money.
    Loved the wide-19mm neck.
    Low action, eazy to play. 35 in. scale.
    Good sounding bass, yes I agree, needs more lows.
    Nice B-string, well balanced with other strings.
    Would replace string with TI-Flats. bring out more lows.
    They just released, new Kingston with ash body and active pickups.
    Old model Basswood body Passive pickups.
    Just ordered one.
    Ash body, Maple fingerboard, Amber finish.
    The price, $545.00. with out case.
  4. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    I enjoy my MTD KH4..i added some bart pups and bad ass bridge.
    I can dial up a few different tones.
    my Sans Amp DI handles everything else...:)