Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full Review of the S.U.B.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sdguyman, Aug 15, 2003.

1. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I got my MusicMan SUB today and I've been playing it all day long. I have the SR4 so I want to compare it to its big brother.

It has a textured paint job, painted neck and may weigh about a pound or two lighter. Other than that it looks just like the SR4.
    Main differences:
    2 band Eq
    no cut out in the back for your gut.
    no curve off body by your fingering arm to rest on. (It is completely flat piece of wood)
    Oh yea it is made of Poplar compared to Ash.
    Tone-wise the SUB is almost identical to SR4, in fact, I don't think that there is much of a difference at all.
    The neck is great, and exact to its big brother. No sharp edges on the frets, nice and smooth. I think that the only reason why it is cheaper, is mostly that the SR4 is a little more ergonomically designed compared to the SUB. As far as quality of tone, it is definitely a MusicMan StingRay in disguise.
    :D

2. Glad to hear:bassist:

Those things are tempting, but, alas, I really don't have the money (or an excuse, for that matter) to get one:(

3. Just a small note, Poplar is still sometimes used by MM on the opaque finishes for Sterling, SR, and SR5.