Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full Sail?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by templelife, May 4, 2001.

1. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Has anyone here ever attended the recording school "Full Sail" in Orlando Fl. I've heard nothing but good things about the school and was thinking about attending in Sept. If anyone with experience with the shcool or the recoding industry itself would give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My son actually went to Orlando to tour the facility. He said they really had state of the art equipment. He knew because he had been a roadie for a couple years and worked with many different kinds of bands. He got to see what they were using, both in lighting and sound. He said their equipment is top notch.

He was very impressed with their facility and how they taught, but in the end did not go. The courses are not cheap and you would have to get an excellent position somewhere to recover the cost of your education.

Full Sail still sends my son brochures semi-annually. They have recently just raised their prices again. If you have not all ready done it, send for a brochure to see what all they offer now, how much it costs, housing, length of programs, etc. They do offer student loans.

One more thing. My son toured a similar school in Fort Lauderdale, one with schools in several cities throughout the U.S. My son said that school didn't have nearly as up to date equipment as Full Sail, yet it cost nearly as much. Also, Full Sail has a much broader scope of programs offered in sound, animation and recording technology.

Full Sail definitely would have been my son's first choice if he had decided to further his studies in sound and lighting.

3. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the info. I got their tuition cost for the course I'm interested in (recording arts), it's 25,500 for the one year course...WoW... I've seen other schools and their gear doesn't compare to what Full Sail has.

Thanks.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Full Sail does offer student loan packages. But you'd better be sure you can get a job after gaduation that will allow you to be comfortable and still have money to make loan payments.

What you might do first is check around and find out what beginners in your chosen occupation are paid to start. How long would it take you to pay off that student loan with that pay? Also, find out how competitive it is to get work in what you want to do.

Another thing, be sure if the $25,000 includes the cost of housing and books. When my son checked Full Sail, they did not have dorms, but had arrangements with nearby apartments. I don't know what the situation is now. Housing costs can add a bundle to that $25,000. Also transportation.

I have no doubt you will get excellent training at Full Sail. The question is...can you quickly get work afterward that will make the $25,000 plus other costs worthwhile?

5. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into it.